Sorry! Another MK2 ABF wiring Problem!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dave-oz, Jun 19, 2016.

1. dave-oz New Member

Hey guys,

first up I have read the relevant threads by rub and toyo and used the search, but I can't seem to identify a couple of my SEAT plugs as colours are unfortunately different to the VW diagrams :thumbd:

Ok, now:

Hi,

I am in process of turning a CE2 MK2 (ex-RV) into a 2.0 16v weekend car. I received engine and harness already removed and not labeled, that's where the problems come from. I have deleted the aircon and installed the engine with the wiring going around the A-pillar to the fusebox. It runs, that's the good news, but I still have plenty of cables left over that I can't seem to make sense of. I started culling everything I could identify of the 3 yellow connectors and now I'm left with plenty of connectors I can't identify.

My thinking so far is:

1) unsure
    2) unsure
    3) possibly bin
    4) charcoal canister (legal requirement in Australia) ->keep
    5) possibly bin both
    6) possibly bin
    7) the 2 black wires come of a yellow connector so ->bin, but the purple one goes to the port 56 which is diagnostics? bin?
    8) possibly bin
    9) unsure

I'm not an electrical ace, hence this post to possibly speed things up a bit. If anyone knows what these are, I would appreciate any kind of help!

cheers!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sports racer Forum Member

I'll dig up my Seat Cupra wiring diagram and there's a few local guys I'd recommend but it depends on where in Oz you are.

Cheers

Paul

3. blis Forum Member

Note, not all wiring colours are the same on the SEAT. And the first thingbto do is connect diagnostic port on the lime green wire..DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES, PROCRASTINATE OR EXCUSE, JUST DO IT... Its a vag fonnector, a 12v, ground and a signal thats all it is and a bluetooth adapter or serial cable. You will pull teeth out without it.!

4. sports racer Forum Member

^^^ Listen to him ^^^

What he doesn't know about putting a 16v into an Aussie MK2 isn't worth knowing.

5. blis Forum Member

Nah wait for rubjohnny... lm winging it!

6. dave-oz New Member

Thanks guys. I'll aim to have some sort of diagnostic cable happening very soon. OBD port is hooked up and working, just got no cable handy at the moment.

7. rep

rep Forum Member

Hi

On both my ABF & 1.8t conversion the single blue wire that comes from the alternator loom joins up to Yellow headlight loom plug "A2/01 Alternator (Exciter Wire) Battery Light Blue"

With out this the battery light will be on the dash and i believe it wont charge the battery.

I used these for both my conversions and all was perfect. Your colors will be different but if you chase them back to the FB and ECU plug pinouts your'e on a winer.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?267196-OEM-MK4-management-wiring-gt-Mk1-2-3-harness-install-FAQ-(Now-with-added-dieselness!)

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

Good luck with the build

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  8. blis Forum Member

There are plenty on ebay, just do it!

[​IMG]

Bad pic... for blue wire, mine is not connected.. will post another time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. aircon related, bin
    2. radiator fan thermoswitch, bin if you plan to use mk2 fan wiring
    3. live feed to Y spade, probably supplies a live for the immob box. if so chase that and cut, run your own live
    4. carbon canister, bin
    5. radiator fan control unit, bin if you plan to use mk2 fan wiring
    6. alternator /battery wire, goes to D+ on alternator. get a mk3 alt loom and it will plug right in
    7. for mk3/seat clocks, indicators and mpg signal, bin if using mk2 clocks
    8. blower fan, bin
    9. ecu diagnostics

10. dave-oz New Member

Thanks I will try this out! :thumbup:

On order! ;)

Does your alternator charge without it being connected?

Awesome! Thanks heaps!:clap: This will keep me busy for now, I'll report back once I made some progress!!!

Thanks gents!!!!

11. rubjonny

you will have 2 blue wires on your car now. in the mk2 its in the headlight loom near the battery, on the mk3 its in the engine loom near the starter motor. so pick one and use it, ignore/bin the other :thumbup:

12. blis Forum Member

Now listen to him, because what he doesn't know, doesn't exist. You won't get better advice anywhere else .

Thanks John, I sympathise with anyone bum up head down doing wiring in Brisbane.

Dave,

Must haves...

Bunnings has large packs of Narva connectors, Supercheap have Tridon, dont use anything else and buy the bullets unless you are soldering where you best use heatshrink from jaycar, aspley or wolloongabba.

20160619_151959.jpg

Get a supercheap PLUS card, costs 5 bucks and they give you 10 bucks credit, you get rebated on anything you buy that goes on special. And you dont need receipts for returns,

Masters has Crescent pliers for 45 bucks, it has a crimp on it. I paid 90 for mine from cetnaj, they are the must haves
    20160619_153037.jpg

Supercheap has these for 30 bucks... You need them for your front flange and makes life easy for your manifold.
    20160621_004730.jpg

I would inspect carefully the following, if not replace them, or have spare

Front coolant flange
    Side coolant flange

Thermostat Tridon and they make a cooler one too
    CPS, I prefer meyle, RJ knows best aftermarket ones, I got one from Geebung euro dismantlers
    Oil cooler hoses, got one from VW shop on tne way from airport to geebung
    Water pump, skf , not Repco aftermarket. Got mine from parts shop at geebung
    Timing belt kit, Dayco at bursons
    CVs you get from ADT Granade Rd way, I forgot suburb. Their kits come complete with bolts and brackets, they have bearings too etc

Wreckers are KNJ at sumner park. Many a bosch connector, hoses and my oil cooler. Nuts and bolts, screws etc, wear shoes and take tools for self service. Plenty of coolant reservoirs, but they arent all the same. My knock sensors came off an audi. If you askntjem questions about a MK2, expect a dumb look...

13. dave-oz New Member

I've got the tools, but also missing knowledge about electrics [8(]

Clutch, flywheel, T-belt water pump are already done, for the thermostat and fan switch I used the ones from the T2 Kombi, both are low temperature ones.

Legend! Thanks heaps again!

I'm off camping this weekend, but hope to get back into it after Game of Thrones season finale on Monday!!!

14. dave-oz New Member

Apologies everybody, we got rained out on our camping trip and the gear had to first get try in the shed, so no access to the MK2 for a week...

I'm unsure about picture 6 being the alternator cable, it's single pin and to short to reach there, as it originates from the same area of the main loom as the reverse light plug?

As it stands now, I'm really struggling with this [8(]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

15. blis Forum Member

Ignore it for now, theres nothing stopping you using an extension piece if need be. John mentioned somethong about a second feed and my single blue wire plug sits bundled with the ac conndctor. Where in brisbane are you.. im on the gap atm

16. rubjonny

picture 6 is the ABF loom alternator connector for the fusebox in the engine loom, it is supposed to be used with a mk3 golf alternator loom which will have the mating plug from the alternator blue wire right there where needed ;)

the original mk2 loom has the alternator wire from the fusebox in the headlight harness instead, which ends up next to the battery positive. the mk2 alternator loom has a much longer blue wire in it to reach here

so in short pick which engine bay plug you want to use mk2 next to battery or mk3 next to starter, and run the blue wire from the alternator to it ;)

17. dave-oz New Member

Update:

Apart from a Club-GTI membership, I've made some more (slow) progress. I still need to sort some minor things out and get a terminal removal tool to undo some wires from some plugs. But otherwise fingers crossed....

I hopefully(!) have the 3 last pictures for the wiring in this post, I'd need assistance with. The last one should determine if I did OK or stuffed up and need to explore other options (hope not).

1) runs from fusebox to engine bay. Not sure what for?
    2) 2 wires running from fusebox to engine bay, both appear for to be for temperature sensor? bin?
    3) This Plug is located on the side of the head (temp sensor), after removing all unnecessary wires there is only one out of four left? A green one? Is that correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks mate. I soldered it onto the little wire on the alternator + Cable, but no actual Plug/connector goes onto the altenator right?

18. rubjonny

1. whats the wire colour and/or pin position on the fusebox?

2. probably the MFA outside air temp sensor wires to g1/2 & G2/2. I swap the mk2 wires over as they're longer, but obv only need them if you have the MFA clocks.

3. aircon, bin

with the blue wire you should have a 2 pin plug with a single blue wire on the alternator, this is where the fusebox blue wire needs to go not spliced to the alt live.

you have 2 fusebox blue wires currently, one in the abf engine loom and one in the mk2 lighting loom. both run to the same pin on the clocks, so pick one and use it :)

dave-oz likes this.
  19. dave-oz New Member

Back from the dead!

The car has spent quiet a few years in storage, due to several job related postings to different parts of the country :(

I'm currently sorting out the alternator/starter wiring (02 trans) done by the previous owner:

-Lead from D+ to positive battery terminal
    -Lead from starter to positive battery terminal
    -2 green spade connectors to starter (one wire running to 2 Pin grey plug)

I'm left with the following wires aka guesses:

2 Pin Plug grey, green/green->goes to alternator and replaces the blue wire?
    2 Spade Plug black (m/f) brown/green -> unknown?

Does this sound plausible? And where does the black plug go?

cheers:thumbup:

thumbnail_20200329_185112.jpg

20. rubjonny

those plugs all look aircon related to me.

the alternator has a single blue wire from pin D+ or L which needs to be connected to the blue wire on your headlight loom near the battery or if you left it in the blue wire on the abf engine loom near the starter motor

dave-oz likes this.