ADY losing all power and stalling

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Cosmic slop, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi all,
    I could do with your help again please. I drove the Golf to work today for the first time in months. She drove spot on as always but on the way home as I was going down the motorway she suddenly lost all power and stalled. I managed to get her across to the hard shoulder and waited 5 minutes. She started up ok but within a couple of hundred yards of setting off she lost all power again and stalled. Tried again and same thing happened, so ended up stuck on the side of the motorway in 30° for hours until I got recovered (not fun with a bald head!)
    I’ve been searching on here for some reasons and solutions, but does anyone have any ideas on how I could try and pinpoint the problem? She still starts fine, no warning lights and I plugged her in this evening and there are no fault codes showing
    2.0 ADY
    Thanks as always

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Check the crank sensor wiring , they can get brittle and cause failure (I guess ADY is similar to AGG 2.0 8V?)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep that would be my first thought, I bought a cheap crank sensor from ebay and it would cut the car when the oil temp got to 80 degrees and not start again till it cooled off. was a fun trip home from the MOT station...

4. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thank you, for your replies. I can’t see any physical damage to the wiring but it is possible, so I guess I’ll whip it out and replace it. Any suggestions on a decent manufacturer? I need it fairly quickly. ECP have their own brand or Delphi ones. I have tried online but most guys want the part number off the original part which I can’t really get until it’s out!

5. Cosmic slop Forum Member

And they are now obsolete from VW!

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Can't remember but think I used a delphi from ecp on my old mk3 colour concept.

7. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks for your help, but now I need more!!
    Changed the sensor over and took it up the road to get it up to temperature. All fine, no fault codes etc. Get home and find the underside is splattered in oil . I assume it’s the sensor, but why? I held them up against each other and they were exact. Any thoughts?

8. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Right, I’ve whipped the sensor out again and there is a difference of about 2mm in the size of the mounting plate with the screw in it. Is it possible that this size difference is stopping it from seating properly? Also, there is only 1 o-ring on the sensor. I should this correct? I’ve been reading on here that they should have 2!

upload_2020-7-11_18-14-30.jpeg

9. davidut5 Forum Member

AGG has one o-ring. Fit the sensor first with no bolt, check the fitment, if the bolt doesnt go in easy get another brand sensor or enlarge the bolt hole on the sensor.

Attached Files:

10. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Ahhh, mine doesn’t have that o-ring inside! Anyone know the dimensions or part number.
    upload_2020-7-13_10-12-32.jpeg

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Oring is on the sensor.
    I believe your problem is the metal flange on the sensor, if the oring is in one piece.

12. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi all,
    Bit more help please. I finally got the crank sensor replaced (the Delphi one would not seal due to the size of the Ali flange and the dimensions of the sensor being smaller than OEM, so I bought a Lucas one which fitted spot on).
    Anyhow, I took her out for a test drive today and she started fine, but she occasionally hesitates, the revs drop a little and a push on the accelerator doesn’t immediately rectify it, like a flat spot but not when accelerating, only noticeable when holding a steady speed. Then she picks up on her own and drives fine again, then a minute or so later does the same thing and so on and so forth.
    Any ideas what I could to try next?

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

any new codes logged? have a look at throttle body make sure its clean and have a general checkover of loom condition especially round the hot parts of engine. look for loose hoses, splits in throttle boot folds etc.

14. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi Jonny,
    Nope, no codes at all. I’ll have a check over everything and see that I can find. I cleaned the throttle body last year so that should still be fairly gum free. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help. I have another problem now which I’ve set up another thread for if you or anyone could help!