Audi 2ltr Bubble block 16v conversion

Discussion in '16-valve' started by golfguy, Jul 10, 2020.

1. golfguy Forum Member

I have a Audi 2ltr Bubble block engine with a 8v DX mk1 head on, is a KR mk216v a viable option for more power or does the piston and compression difference make it not viable? I posted this on the MK1 forum but have not had much response, any information would be appreciated. 2ltr con.jpg

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

If you mean can you use the KR 16v head on the 2ltr 8v block then the answer is no for the very reason you ask yourself...compression ratio.
    The approx chamber volume on 8v heads is 30cc, the KR 16v head is 47cc, so would greatly reduce the compression ratio.

golfguy likes this.
  3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

A very long time ago, before you could buy a sensibly priced 2L16V I fitted a KR head onto a 2L 8V bottom end. Needed the 16V pistons, but also had to modify the cambelt pulley drives to use the 16V cambelt/pulleys.
    You wouldn't do this now, obviously
    Jon

4. golfguy Forum Member

Thanks Jon, I presume the 2ltr block type you used was a tall block and not the short one the the Audi Bubble 2ltr Type has?

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

No, it was a short one, this was before the long block was even commonly around , maybe 1994
    Jon