1043cc polo engine loom

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dave654321, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Dave654321 New Member

Hi all,I am on rebuilding a 1043cc polo engine just bought a new coil and leads could someone help with some information on wiring everything so it will run on the engine stand (not going into car) I’m planning on making my own loom if someone can tell me all the wires needed and where they go,thanks for any help

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to make it actually run, next to nothing. all you need is a battery, starter, ignition coil & a distributor. Apart from the main battery live to starter+alt and earth to engine block, bare minimum as its points you'll need a switched 12v power feed to the coil fed through a resistance wire (white/purple on a factory loom) or a suitable ballast resistor between the coil and the 12v input. then a wire from the distributor points to the coil negative for your spark trigger, 12v to the alternator D+ to trigger it to start, and 12v to the starter through a switch. thats it, job done.

for the carb depending on which one it is you may need a 12v feed for choke/heaters, theres a thermoswitch for the inlet heater and possibly another for autochoke again depending on the model of carb you choose. if using the inlet heater this will need fed thru a relay, switched by the thermoswitch. probably no need for a bench engine though, just the carb you need to worry about so it warms up nicely

3. Dave654321 New Member

Great thanks for the advice I didn’t know where to start with wiring the coil I it’s the fist old school wiring iv looked at thanks again

4. rubjonny

actually what does the dizzy look like? I assumed it was points but if its a later one might be electronic. does it have a 3 pin plug on the side or just a single wire? if its out of a mk2f polo it'll have an SPI unit rather than a carb also

5. Dave654321 New Member

Hi it’s got points one green wire going into a black box,I was told it was a 1978 mk1 polo but the engine code is GL so it’s looking like it’s a replacement engine from a 81-86? Cheers

6. rubjonny

perfect then as per my first post then. 12v to coil live via resistance wire or balast resistor whatever is easier, coil negative to dizzy, main live & earth from battery to engine. finally check the carb to see what type it is then we can put more details on feeds required for it :)

7. Dave654321 New Member

That’s great thank for helping out it has a solex 31 pic t-5 it’s manual choke but does have fuel shut off switch well I think that’s what it is

8. rubjonny

from memory i think it just has an ignition live to that cut-off switch, will try to find a diagram when i get a minute

9. Dave654321 New Member

That would help me out a lot thanks for your help if you know anyone with a early polo I have some parts for sale as not needed

10. Dave654321 New Member

I have a condenser with the distributor is that a resistor or does it do a different job?

11. rubjonny

thats a different thing, it sits at dizzy side of the circuit. you need to reduce the voltage input to your coil on the live terminal as the points coils dont run at full 12v. so theres either a resistance wire from fusebox to coil to do the job or on some theres a balast resistor instead

12. Dave654321 New Member

Spot on cheers I’ll have a look for a resistor I don’t think there is a white/purple wire with it

13. Dave654321 New Member

The coil I have says ballast on it will that still need a resistor and will it need the condenser at the points

14. Dave654321 New Member

Hi I have tried to bench test the coil but I’m not getting any spark and it’s a new coil,I have a switched live going to it and the negative from the battery to a set of points and a ht lead with a plug in but nothing happens when I break the points have I wired it right? Thanks

15. rubjonny

dont put any negative wires direct to the coil, just ignition live to live side and wire from dizzy to the negative side

16. Dave654321 New Member

I might sound stupid but could you send a picture please I can’t get my head around it

17. rubjonny

like this
    coil.jpg

18. Dave654321 New Member

That’s great thank you,do I put the battery negative to the dizzy for a bench test?

19. rubjonny

yeah you need to put battery negative to the engine or gearbox somewhere, and battery live to starter

20. Dave654321 New Member

Spot on Cheers do you know the resistance of the wire I need?