OEM MK4 management wiring => Mk1/2/3 harness install FAQ (Now with added dieselness!)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rubjonny, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the lambda heaters earth direct to the ECU so it can control when they're active, unplug the ecu and sensors then make sure the wire has continuity between the lambda plug and ecu. white wire pin 5 if its lambda 1, brown/white pin 4 if its lambda 2

2. madmanluke New Member

I have continuity between both so I’m a little stumped.

I’ll
    OBDII: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 1, heater control - circuit malfunction

Volkswagen: HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

Volkswagen: HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

3. rubjonny

if you swap the plugs and clear the codes does the problem move or stay on the same cylinder?

4. madmanluke New Member

No the fault stays the same always on bank 1 sensor 2 (DTC’s for bank 2 show as it’s not coded out yet) when swapped around.

I’ve had issues on previous engine where if they are the wrong way round the car will back fire and really not run very well. This is just running painfully rich.

5. madmanluke New Member

Clutching at straws, but would the exhuast its self need to be grouneded also? It should be grounded through the downpipe fixings and back through the block....

6. rubjonny

Ok so it's not a sensor fault then, I'd expect code to move if so. Earlier lambda sensors do earth thru the exhaust but 3ven if it was down to that both should be affected since it's all 1 lump of metal which both are connected to.

Have you stripped the wiring end to end just 5o be 100% sure there's no damage?

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The polo 9n3 I've got for my boy was bought with engine light on for lambda, replaced it, and would be fine for few days then throw codes up again (sorry, cant remember which ones) even started to misfire on one trip, bogging down like was too rich.
    Common on them for loom to break internally between gearbox and chassis, even when metered it out, didn't show up easily, we stripped it and replaced wiring from lambda plugs to inner wing, and all has been well since.

Attached Files:

8. madmanluke New Member

I haven’t got a picture on me but the loom is totally stripped as part of the conversion with everything exposed. The ecu is sitting in the passengers footwell and the lambdas are coming in straight through a hole through the firewall. I thought where I had coiled the wiring around to tidy it up that could be causing some induction interference but alas no.

all pins seem to bell out without any resistance pin to pin. Everything looks nice and fresh with no severed cables at all on that run. The secondary lambdas have been removed from the loom (and yes it’s definitely the secondary’s that’s have been removed haha) so it’s very simple to trace them all back!

frustrating problem!

9. madmanluke New Member

Attached. The loom is in perfect condition. Each pin of both lambdas gets back to the ecu plug with no issues.

Exhaust is grounded fine. Just checked that also.

Attached Files:

10. Izan New Member

Hi Everyone, I have T3 Syncro with the 1.8T 20v AUM motor in, its running pretty well but still needs to have the Oxygen sensors wired....
    Can I please have a pinout for the 4-pin connector tot he ecu, this is what I have:
    Pin 1: Blue/Red
    Pin 2: Grey/Yellow
    Pin 3: Grey/White
    Pin 4: Grey/Orange

11. rubjonny

AUM just needs the 6 pin wideband pre-cat, the post cat can be coded out if you aren't running a cat. can still be coded out even if you are :)

but pinout is as follows:
    1 - live feed for heater
    2 - ecu pin 63
    3 - ecu pin 68
    4 - ecu pin 69

12. madmanluke New Member

Confirmed as a faulty ECU. I managed to swap it out with another ecu to test and it trims fine. Will update once I have a diagnosis from the guys doing the software.

13. rubjonny

ah good news, if it had immo off or map maybe it was a bad flash? have a word with chris bellman on facebook or toyotec on here should be able to fix as long as its not damage on the ecu board

14. Jerome dhont New Member

[​IMG]
    Hello I'm swaping my mk2 into tdi pd I need to plug in the brake and clutch switch ?

My brakes work with mk2 wiring
    Thank
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  15. rubjonny

clutch switch yes as you'll see revs hanging between gear changes. brake switch mixed info, but I always wire it in as its only 2 more wires to do so

16. Pjuvis New Member

Hey again. I have question with T14a/8 pin. In my case I have a wire connection on 8 pin. I'm not really sure, where I need this pin conect?

17. rubjonny

check the ecu sensor side of the t14a, on a BAM loom this pin should be empty as the coilpack power coems from the big 2 pin plug. the car side of the plug often has the wire as its standard across several models

18. Pjuvis New Member

Och, yes, I see thats pin is emty, thanks.

Today, I first time try to start engine. First I'm disconecting fuel system lines, just wiring loom full T6 brown, t10h blue and some pins from t14a (I think that enough for the first start.) Ignition is working, starter spins the engine, but fuel pump doesin't work ( I'm not hear noise from her (fuel pump I install brand new)). As I saw with tester in the pump conection, when ignition is off, pump get ~1.8 v, but when I turn on ignition or starting engine, pump get 8.8v and still is not working !
    I try wire it pump stright from the battery and pump works fine ! I tryed change the fuel pump relay (I have 80 and 167), but no differents.
    My battery is slightly discharged (~ 12.65v) but I don't think this is a problem ..

Sorry for my bad English.

19. rubjonny

what fusebox has it got?

20. Pjuvis New Member

I'm using golf mk2 CE2 fusebox. This car original came with 1.6 carb engine. Fuel tank and loom I using from mk3 GTi, it's plug and play to the mk2 fusebox.

EDIT: I found a problem ! Today, after work I check all wire and etc, and I found, that I not conected 1 of 2 ground wire from ECU, hes hiding behind the ECU. Now works fine !

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Mk2daz likes this.