Fuel pump relay issue

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Phll1982Gti, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Phll1982Gti New Member

Hi I'm running a facet fuel pump on my abf but the fuel pump relay is only working when I manually press the little switch to connect inside the relay, I'm thinking there's an possible ground issue that is causing it not to connect inside the relay does anyone know what is going on with it from experience. Tia

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for starters what engine management are you using and what fuel relay?

3. Phll1982Gti New Member

Hi there sir I have a kr 16 valve ecu and a non fused gsf relay, the pump seems to come on with quite some noise if I tap the relay and I have changed the fues box and does the same thing

4. rubjonny

does the rev counter work? the kjet relay needs to see this signal to work. assuming its a ce1 fusebox for testing you can switch the 17 or 18 relay into the fuel pump socket this will trigger the fuel pump with ignition, if car starts and runs plus you see the rev counter this suggests either the relay is bad or theres an issue with the relay socket, perhaps contacts are dirty or bent.

if it doesnt run with the 17/18 relay then check the car is getting spark, alsdo look at the back of the fusebox if its a CE1 type theres a brown wire with spade hanging out the back of the white engine loom plug which should be plugged into the white 4 way spade block on the headlight loom along with an earth from the dash loom and another from the rear loom. out the back of the white 4 way spade block is another brown wire with spade this should be connected to the earth claw.

5. Phll1982Gti New Member

OK thanks, yes it's a 1982 gti I've actually got a mk2 fues box in atm because I thought it was corrosion in the original, yes the rev counter works its just odd how if you tap on the relay it kicks in with the pump prime I will have a look at the brown wires but I have grounded all brown wires

6. Phll1982Gti New Member

Well I put the relay nnumber 18 in and the pump kicks in ever time so I guess it's a faulty relay

7. rubjonny

worth opeining it up see if anythign obvious like a dry joint or something. my wiper relay packed up a while back and I found a tiny blob of solder had broken off the control board somewhere and lodged itself between the relay switch plates

8. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

If not the coil winding has a break in it. Hopefully it's a dry joint

9. Phll1982Gti New Member

OK well I have just noticed that the rev counter is not working so this may have something to do with it I know that there's a brown and white wire the clock end not connected to anything

10. rubjonny

right ok, so the rev counter is fed from a red/.black wire to the coil negative, start there. if its a GTI there is a cluster earth to the side of the head. The earth on the cluster itself is brown, but the one to the mfa stalk is brown/white so could be that?

11. Phll1982Gti New Member

OK the coil wires are correct but I'm not entirely sure where the brown and white wire goes the rev counter was working, I know that the cars revs are hanging and it's running like there a timeing issue

12. Phll1982Gti New Member

OK the rev counter is working now do you know if there should be power to the fuel pump relay with ignition off because I seem to have

13. rubjonny

the main input is a permanent live yes, then you have ignition live, earth, output and rev counter input

14. Phll1982Gti New Member

OK many thanks for your help again

15. Phll1982Gti New Member

So just to confirm if the relay 18 works fine is my wireing fin and it means it's definitely the fuel pump relay

16. rubjonny

yes if the 18 relay powers the pump you know everything from the fusebox backwards is fine. this leaves you with either an issue with the relay itself, the trigger pin on the relay socket, or the trigger signal.

one thing though, is what type of fuel relay is it you have? a mk1/2 8v kjet type or a mk2 digifant/16v type?