Door jammed in and out

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by MJA, Sep 6, 2020.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I've been really enjoying myself replacing 3x door lock modules in the Golf. Moments of rage actually. I've still got to refit the rear window into the mech without breaking it but I've got a bigger problem on the other side - door is deadlocked and will not open from inside or out.

Is there a better option over breaking loads of things?

Cheers
    Matt

2. MJA

Odd but lucky - reconnected the motor and left overnight and working again. Need to change it before it ends up locked up again.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just unplug the lock when its unlocked for now, dont leave anything in the car and hope for the best :lol:

got this joy myself on our bora, only 1 out of 4 is working properly and the tailgate stops popping at random as well

4. MJA

Thanks! I really hate the job. Party because I didn't really know what I was doing so had to take it apart multiple times. The worst finding was realising the little lock 3/4 ring for the door barrel had fallen out on reassembly so off it all came again.

I found the mk4 platform really easy to work on until I got this job. Once you know your way through it I guess it isnt that bad.

5. rubjonny

yeah the modules are just so awkward to get to on these, found someone has been in there before me as well all the plastic brackets for the driver side were all trashed where someone decided to just rip the thing out rather than take the time to do the job properly

6. MJA

Ditto on mine for plugs and I was sent on a wild goose chase as the installed motors were for earlier spec cars (you highlighted that for me on a previous thread). Someone had even cut a hole in the inner metal door card to pull the cable through. All replaced now though.

I will hold my hands up though - I didn't take the window runner out on the rear door as managed to manipulate the module past it.

Have you had experience of putting the rear window back on the regulator plastic runner thing? I pushed the white dowel through the window and put the inner locator thing through the middle of the dowel. I watched a video and it said apply gentle pressure on the window but my plastic regulator thing snapped, assume i i didn't get it quite lined up. I'm waiting on a replacement in the post and keen for that to not happen next time (although I did buy 3 units in anticpation).

7. rubjonny

yep have done the rear reg on the bora as well, had a total nightmare removing the lower peg of doom out but managed in the end. to refit I dont remember any difficulties tbh

8. Beatfactor

Beatfactor Paid Member Paid Member

Whilst we're on the subject of door handles. My battery is flat and i can't get into my MK4 Golf. I suspected there would be a manual door lock underneath the cover at the end of the driver's door handle. Unfortunately, i was wrong. The only door lock i have is the tailgate lock and that has seized solid.

Anyone here that has had the same problem, know how to get round this, without breaking anything?

9. MJA

Well I don't know what I did wrong but I installed a new module on the rear door and although the metal arm moves back and forth on unlocking the door I can't open the door.

The cable is still attached to the handle but I can't pull the cap off to pull further as can't open the door to get the screw off.

There isn't enough space inside the door like the fronts to get at the opening mechanism. What a complete hassle this is!

10. rubjonny

if you allowed battery to go flat with the car locked they're all now deadlocked, if you're lucky you could get under the car and run jump leads to the starter live terminal and the chassis somewhere to get enough voltage into the system to activate the CCM then fingers crossed the fobs will still work

did you buy the right module to suit the age of car? as there are 2 versions early and late. not 100% what the difference is but I think its something to do with the connection to the door handle. I take it the inner door pull doesnt work either

11. MJA

Ah no i didn't realise there were different modules but was able to get the little cable on the door handle. The actual module is making a noise and the metal arms are moving with the locking, just not enough leverage on the either inner or outer handles to open it :(

12. Beatfactor

Beatfactor Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks rubjonny, i'll try that in the morning :)

13. MJA

Can I check this is the right part for the later cars 3B1837015A? Mines a 2002 gt tdi with the later style window motors.

14. rubjonny

thats a front left LHD passat door lock module? the correct late mk4 rears are 3B4839015 -> 015AJ for left and 3B4839016 -> 016AJ for right

MJA likes this.
  15. MJA

Ahh thanks. This is potentially where I've gone wrong then - this is the unit I installed in the rear door and that might be why it is deadlocked but operating off of the cars electrics.