Potential Purchase of MK4 GTI - Advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Jessica Jones, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Jessica Jones New Member

Hi
    Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I am hoping to learn alot!
    I am looking at making my very first MK4 GTI purchase and would welcome any advice or comments regarding the vehicle.
    The first stumbling block is I live 200 miles away from it!
    It is a 2001 1.8T with the AUM engine. It has done 83K miles with full VW service history up until this year. Husband and wife owned up until 2019 (unused between 2014-2018) when it was sold to a neighbour through bereavement. An enthusiast has bought it one month ago and is selling due to having two other classic cars and another daily driver.
    It is priced at 2795. The only fault I have been advised about is on the gears - sticky getting out of reverse but he has ordered and will fit a plastic bush that clips on to the side of the linkage?
    It is a 3 door with cloth interior.
    Does the price sound about right with that kind of provenance?
    Many thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

see how he gets on fixing the gears, then go from there. the fact its fully dealer serviced is good news, one thing the 20v engiens dont like is lax oil services.

price wise shop around other examples and see how you feel about it :)

3. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Mine has a sticky reverse so would be glad to know if this fixes it! Adjusting it correctly helped somewhat but still does it slightly

4. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

doesn't sound very appealing in your post. expensive for what it is, gear issues and ower selling pretty quickly