EDL, how can I tell if its fitted?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by stew72, Sep 21, 2010.

1. stew72 Forum Member

How can I tell for sure if my car has this option? Is there any way of telling from components and wiring?

The background to this is I have a flashing airbag light and handbrake light on my late 1996 16v. I have no fault codes and the system all checks out as ok on vag com (wheel speed sensors, brake switch, pump and hydraulic output tests), the system does not work at all. The ABS ECU is for ABS only (3A0 907 379) and I do have an option code of 1AE that I believe is for ABS/EDL, so I suspect that I may have the wrong ABS ECU fitted, or even the wrong complete ABS unit.

Can anyone help?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Connect vagcom and look at the ABS function. The system will ID the controller and state "EDL" in the id line.
    Then you will know if you have electronic diff lock.

3. stew72 Forum Member

It doesn't, it only states ABS. The option codes on the sticker in the service book suggests otherwise, thus I suspect that at sometime someone has fitted the wrong abs ecu and possibly the wrong hydraulic unit too, hence my ABS issues (flashing lights but no fault codes and no rear brake proportioning).

I'm trying to work out if there is any other way to tell by looking at other components and wiring.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I am sure the EDL function is in the the ABS ECU software so it looks as you said the vehicle may have had a replacement part during its life.

5. stew72 Forum Member

I've had a good look on the net and it appears models with EDL have two extra valves on the hydraulic unit and associated solenoids on the ecu, neither of which I have so I guess my car either hasn't ever had EDL or the whole pump/ecu unit has been changed.

I guess I now need tio find out if there is actually any difference in the wiring loom causing my problems or whether this set up should work as is as its all self contained within the ecu?

6. stew72 Forum Member

been looking at wiring diagrams, Autodata shows only one diagram that features 8 valves so thats non eds and I've found one online that shows the diff lock valves and there appears to be a difference on the ecu plug.

Non edl has a yellow/white wire between terminals 6 and 22.
    edl cars don't have this, they have a blue wire between 15 and 21.

Can anyone confirm this?

7. *R32* New Member

I'm glad I finally found this post!
    I have a Mk2 into which I have fitted the ABS system from a Seat Toledo 16V.
    The original pump was knackered so I replaced it with 3A0907379D from a Mk3 Golf. The original didnt have the D suffix...

Now I get the 01044 incorrect coding fault on VCDS.

The Seat loom has a black/white link between pins 14 and 22 on the controller connector.
    I thought that changing the link to that of the Golf would get it to work but alas, no joy [:^(]

The links are the only difference between the systems and I am convinced that getting the right combination is all thats needed to get the ABS to work.

The only schematic I could find online was for the EDL version and I tried linking pins 15/21 but this didnt work either.

My system originally had code 03704. I just need the wire link combination to match this to get it to work. I am not sure if the ECU can be recoded with that from another system or not.

In theory I think it should be possible to upgrade a non-EDL system by fitting a new pump/controller and changing the wire link.

Stew72, can you post the code for your ECU? Also, could you send me the schematic for the non-EDL version please?

8. daveb142 New Member

Talk about thread revival...

So I've just fitted Teves20 to my 1995 Corrado and was having this issue with the 01044 fault code coming up.

Upon investigation I had a link between pins 14 and 21. On VCDS it had no mention of EDL. Luckily the ABS controller came with the chopped plug - this had a link between pins 7 and 22.

Once removing the link from 14 and 21 and inserting it into pins 7 and 22, the 01044 fault code went away.

Just incase anyone is doing the teves20 conversion and comes across a similar fault!