S3 Fan control APY to BAM conversation

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Dominess, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Dominess New Member

Hi guys, I've got an Audi S3 8L, the car originally came with APY engine. Then previous owner put BAM engine in it and I'm now changing the ECU from APY to BAM (wideband conversion) but I'm having problems with my fans not kicking in, they only run with the A/C on. The APY FCM has different amount of pins then BAM FCM and I can't figure out how to connect it, which one to use and how to wire it up to make them run, been searching on forums and found out that some people have deleted pin 61 in ECU to make it work somehow but I have my EGT on pin 61, have any of you guys had this problem and worked it out how to connect it to get them working normally? Any help appreciated, Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the fan wiring doesn't need to be messed with when you swap ecu looms as its part of the main bay harness and the ecu looms are all separate. so keep all of that standard, ECU pin 61 is aircon related so wont affect normal operation of the fan and I cant see a BAM equivalent of this either so dont worry about it.

first thing to do is unplug the fan thermoswitch and check you have 12v on the red wire, then loop it to the red/white and your fan should spin on speed 1. The red/white wire is directly connected to the fan so this should work regardless of if the fan module is even there. If you loop the red to red/yellow it should spin on speed 2, you probably have to have the ignition on for speed 2 to work though and its not connected to the fan at all it goes to the FCM so will only work if everything is good on the controller unit and wiring.

3. Dominess New Member

I have checked the thermo switch, the fans work on both 1st and 2nd speed but how come they won't come on when the engine is hot (102 degrees) they just don't kick in at all. But when I turn the A / C on they come on straight away even if the engine is cold unless its less the 1degree outside then the A / C compressor won't come on.

Thermo switch is new Hella

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you might just need to let the engine get a little warmer, the thermoswitch kick in is 95 degrees but its measuring coolant temp on the outlet side of the radiator so it'll see coolaer temps than the dash gage which is on the outlet on the side of the cylinder head. on that note have a feel of the lower rad hose and rad itself, make sure the thermostat is opening when temps around 90ish and the rad then starts to get hot particularly around the thermoswitch area