Modifying cast steel (?) uprights

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Mk2daz, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

I'm looking to eliminate the weak stub axle on these Porsche 924 uprights as they are pretty prone to fracturing when driven hard, especially when supporting the weight of larger brakes etc.

The stubs also take quite small wheel bearings, the same as the rear of a mk1/2/3 golf, which i think is maybe a little weak for the front of a 300+hp rwd application.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of modifying them so I can simply bolt up a more modern wheel bearing/hub assembly such as this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fie...emsV2WithMLRv3&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

Just wanted to maybe hear some peoples thoughts on this, theres possibly some more experienced heads on here that can advise

Thanks

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Seems a radical change Daz, is there no other front unit you can use that's similar in layout, but with a bigger stub? Golf or TT, or 944 etc.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

When I had my old minor I considered putting lotus 7 style front suspension on it, do away with the kingpin and spindle set up that is an Achilles heel, plenty of kits for wishbone available, plus sierra flanges to match your pcd.