Agu engine need some advice

Discussion in 'Engines' started by jason3249, Apr 10, 2021.

1. jason3249 New Member

Hi people don't suppose anyone can help me....

I've fitted the agu engine in my mk2 pick up I've sent the ecu away to de mobilised I've also sent the looms off to be done etc

I've fitted it all and got 2 problems where to start when I turn the key all the clocks light up etc but the engine just turns over I've checked the spark plugs and I have no spark but the throttle body makes noises like they do, I've gone through all the wiring and checked all the earth's etc all fine

Iv also wired up the obd2 socket and I get linking error, I've checked the live and its fine I've also checked the earth and that's good I've also checked the k line in the engine bay and that's got 12v coming from it, I've used pin 19 coming out of the ecu and still nothing

power 16, ground 4, and k line 7 in the back of the obd2 socket diagnostics tool lights up and just says linking error

So yer I'm stuck to be honest I've emailed Tweaked_customs from ebay who did the loom no reply yet been 2 days so he could be away...

Don't know what else to do engine is all fitted etc and was a right pain of a job

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Have you any fresh plugs you can check for spark with? I got caught out with older plugs that looked fine but weren't sparking.
    Got power at the coils?

jason3249 and dodgy like this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

True, spend a tenner on new set, had it on an xr2 that wouldn't go, even proper plug cleaner caused us to look elsewhere, throwing us off the scent as presume that they were ok.
    Power between both half of looms? The large 2 pin plug with one wire connected?

jason3249 likes this.
  4. jason3249 New Member

Yep done that but
    Tried bud took them from my go ped and my cbr lol still nothing

dodgy likes this.
  5. jason3249 New Member

I also forgot to say I've fitted a new cam belt

6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

So do you get a spark at all? Tried the old screwdriver in lead to see if get a spark jump to earth?

jason3249 likes this.
  7. jason3249 New Member

No spark at all used different plugs as well, can't work it out been through all the wiring again and seems to be right makes no sense, I've just brought a new crank shaft sensor, it's odd really

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'd be double checking the timing marks.

jason3249 likes this.
  9. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Did you hear back from Tweaked_customs yet? The immobiliser could still be active.
    I'd be trying to get that diagnostics port working as a priority. You are trying to troubleshoot the car blind in my opinion.

If the timing on the engine was off by a tooth either side it will still run. If the cam position sensor was faulty the ECU will keep turning over until it 'guesses' the firing order correctly.

jason3249 likes this.
  10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its possible your tool isnt compatible, not all of them can talk VW protocol. get a cheap usb vagcom/kkl cable from ebay and use the freewere version of VCDS-lite from the ross tech website

jason3249 likes this.
  11. jason3249 New Member

Thanks all I've bought a new ignition amplifier, new spark plugs, coil pack, and crankshaft sensor just waiting for them to arrive...

Nothing back from Tweaked_customs been 3 day's, a friend said it could be the loom and could be a easy fix but need him to reply, mine use to be a diesel not the petrol version its a mk2 vw caddy pickup aka skoda Felicia

Edit I've just brought a vag com like you said to do

:)(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  12. rubjonny

how has he setup the fuel pump/engine electrics? is there a relay for it on the loom which bypasses fusebox or does he wire it to use factory fuel pump relay on fusebox?

jason3249 likes this.
  13. jason3249 New Member

He's added it to the fuel box in the engine bay passenger side by the battery then I've got to run the wire to the fuel pump but the fuel pump wire has 12v going through it :)

14. jason3249 New Member

Well some good news the loom man has got back to me so really hoping it's something silly, to far in to give up, does anyone know a url website use to be photobucket but that doesn't work anymore for me anyway, so then I can show you guys photos

15. rubjonny

ok like that it makes no odds what engine car had before as its all fully standalone. next thing to check is if you have 12v at the maf and injector live pins while cranking

jason3249 likes this.
  16. jason3249 New Member

I'm away for a few days for work but when I'm back rubjonny I will definitely check that we'll them :)

17. jason3249 New Member

Hmm I've checked the timing marks and there bang on, I've swapped the spark plugs for new ones, I've swapped the amplifier control unit for a new one, I've swapped the crankshaft sensor for a new one, and swapped out the coil pack for another......
    I'm getting 12v constantly on pin 3 red/purple.... Behind the red/purple is another red/purple but its been snipped I think by the loom man
    And I'm getting 0v on the pin 1 black/purple but when I turn the ignition on then it goes to 12v
    the main ecu earth is bolted to the battery terminal.....
    The Fuel pump wire is 0v but when i turn the ignition on the fuel pump wire goes to 5v and stays like it till I turn the ignition off
    I'm also getting 3v to 4v on the injectors
    I'm out of ides

18. jason3249 New Member

5 hours on it today and still nothing :(

19. rubjonny

did you get your new diagnoistics cable working on the ecu?

pin 15 purple/red is for carbon canister so thats fine you dont need it. looks liek next check is figure out why fuelrelay is only supplying 5v, check the relay itself and the supply feed to relay

jason3249 likes this.
  20. jason3249 New Member

I haven't had chance to try the new vagcom because I got the laptop out and it went bang just wasn't my day today but but but

I got some good news sort of, I lost my rag with it I ripped all the loom of slung it then said I'm done no more anyway luckily I went back to the loom stripped of all the tape and the fabric tape then I found 2 broke wires and one twisted together so the loom man would of over looked that because he didn't need to mod that part of the loom must of been one of the old owners from the donor engine .....

So I fixed the wiring and still no spark luckily the loom man wrote back saying take the 167 relay out and bypass it with abit of wire then bingo it has spark and ran with easy start for afew seconds and got full 12v now, then the loom man said your 167 relay is no good even though it was new lol always the way, I didn't tell him about the broken wires just in case I need him because there's one problem left he's a nice guy as well, but I did try he's idea with the broken wires disconnected and no spark so needed the wires fixed and the relay bypassed to spark...

Just gotta hope he's right and when the new relay turns up it will still spark with it fitted

And I still can't get the obd2 socket to work and I really really want it to be so much easier I'm just out of ides to get it to work are you sure the OBD2 socket wires are the same for my pick up because it use to be a diesel and its a vw but aka skoda felicia....

I've used the k line wire what the loom man tagged with masking tape so I then run he's k line wire straight to the obd2 socket and cut the old k line wire and didn't work so I tried the k line wire at the obd2 socket with the k line wire he said twisted them together still doesn't work so then I went to the k line pin on top of the ecu cut it and ran it to the obd2 socket and still nothing, and I tried all the k line wires together and yep still nothing I've got 12v at the obd2 socket the diagnostic tool turns on so it's getting power... I've used this guide power 16, ground 4 and k line 7 and I bet you can't guess it yep didn't work as usual :(

I'm over the moon so chuffed there's a spark thanks guys :)

dodgy likes this.