Mk2 sunroof, should I be scared?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by dodgy, Apr 3, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Sat here thinking about the Driver's sunroof, Guy I got the car off said he had never opened it in the 2 and a half years he had it, and it doesn't look as if the original owner passed on the knowledge of its use.
    I've not tried to open it really, but just turned the handle and seemed to go stiff so I've not persevered during the winter.
    Seal looks kaput so that's £80+ to start, are there any tips to open the little tinker, or anything that could break if it does stick?
    Headlining is going to need some TLC too so that can be removed if necessary.
    All advice appreciated, cheers D

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its a standard steel roof spares are easy to come by so I wouldnt worry all that much. very worst case you'll have to destry the inner sliding panel till you can remove it then you have full access to all the internal fixings. if you can get it open just enough you can pull down on the front of the panel to release from the roof thats all you need

if its got bad cables or something a bit of help from someone pushing down and then back on the rear end of the roof while you wind should hopefully get it open

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Thanks RJ, think may order a new seal and get mrs C to help with this instead of the usual brake bleeding, if have to I can take whole headliner out as needs a bit more glue now,
    Cheers.

4. dodgy

Just got a chance between snow showers and rain to be outside.
    Put a new rear window regulator in as discovered passenger window didn't move, then thought I'd look at sunroof.
    Small amount of pressure on the rear and it moved, glides very easily.
    But, greeted with a rusty flap and arms, so off to look for them now. Hopefully wont be too much of a challenge to get hold of, also 2 plastic bits were loose inside the channel, answers on a postcard please.

Attached Files:

5. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Those arms (that pull the wind deflector down when the roof closes) used to be poorly painted mild steel which rusted quickly, but the replacements I got from VW many years ago were stainless and are still as new. See if you can find stainless ones.

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Just been searching Ebay and discovered stainless versions, but they seem to be nearly £100 for a pair, mind you its 70 for steel!
    So for new seal, second hand flap and arms is now £200+, slightly shocked.

7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

I guess it shows how scarce they are. Perhaps you could make something that would work?

8. dodgy

Quite surprising no repro ones around.
    Might invest in the stainless set if no joy, and see how bad my flap is if I sandblast it.
    One of the things I miss due to lockdown is going to scrapyard and having a good search for stuff.

9. H8V

h8v Forum Member

If it's up to about £100 for the pair of arms I'll need to rethink the value of my car!
    I remember pulling the deflector down with my finger while closing the roof, before I decided to renew the arms.

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

Even considering doing away with it and fitting a spoiler from an open air polo, so it doesn't do the air pressure drumming, my dad had a Renault years ago and the tiny stubby bit of plastic fell off the window surround and if you opened the window it would do a dubstep routine on your ears as needed air disrupting over the opening.
    The ends on my arms are completely missing, could possibly fabricate some new bits, perhaps a hooked 4mm rod welded to the remaining parts, I'll go and have a measure later, its snowing again at the moment.

11. dodgy

Managed to find some new stainless arms, half the price of used Ebay ones.
    Admittedly it is showing as low stock so fingers crossed they do arrive.
    Just the flap to sort then.

12. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Sounds good. Hope they work out.

dodgy likes this.
  13. rubjonny

pics of the plastic pieces?

get the inner trim off your roof and check out all the mech on the inside

14. dodgy

These, had look on etka quickly, do they go on the end of flap, and fit to arms?

Attached Files:

15. rubjonny

pretty sure those are the front outer guides for the roof panel, get the inner trim off and have a look

16. rubjonny

yep, front guides. might explain why the roof wasnt happy to open, you may find the pegs they fit on have rotted off:
    spanel1.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  17. dodgy

I'll pop the trim and check this week if weather improves, thanks Jon, to be honest I only applied a tiny push to the back, think it was just years of crud.