SAFE BOOST on K04 Turbo.. help plz!!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Chaps, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Chaps Forum Member

Just fitted boost guage to the car, and to my horror it goes all the way up and past 1.5bar marker on the guage - i dont drive it in the high revs as it scares the be jesus outta me so dont know what it drops to at what point..... also i need to fit a uprated intake pipe as they collapse...

Engine is 1.8T APX (K04 Turbo) on MBE management, with KnN, Sprinter Intercooler, Custom downpipe and straight thro exhaust to 1 box at the back.

Its FAST as a flying **** (chap who had it b4 me says about 280Bhp ish), but i dont think its safe at this high boosting pressue..... is there anyway to just turn it down??? whats the crack with these switchable boost pressures??? how easy to fit? pros/cons, remap required? thoughts....

Any info and advice would be great... Thanks

2. goof Forum Member

Your boost will probably spike to 1.5bar but drop off to around or below a bar higher up the revs. I had the same thoughts with my engine when i first built it and ran it on MBE presuming it is a kit from qpengineering. I'd suggest getting it rolling roaded to see what the AFR (air fuel ratio) is like as mine was quite lean when on boost. Another thing to consider is the boost gauge which may just be a cheapo thing which may be reading out slightly.

3. Chaps Forum Member

its a durite boost guage and been told they are ok, it was 35quid..

So the spike is jsut the initial kick of boost i take it? sorry 4 lame questions just not to familar wit turbo pressures etc. MBE was already fitted but i think its from qpengineering, they seem to do quite abit fro 1.8ts in regard to MBE stuff. I am going to have a proper look at it tonight to see where it boosts to and drops off.... if it doesnt drop to around 1bar is this wrong?

What are ppls views on manual boost controllers?

4. Chaps Forum Member

just to inform you all........
    A KO4 turbo does not like 1.6bar of boost........... it ****s it, and then makes u cry when u realise u need a new turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

is there some way to easily convert bar pressure into psi pressure? im running 17psi (ish). whats that in bar?
    what is the most anyone has heard a KO3s running?

6. Chaps Forum Member

I am pretty sure 15psi is 1bar.
    so 17psi will be about 1.1bar i'd say.

dont know about ko3 turbo tho sorry mate... i know a ko4 cant handle 26psi tho lol

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why is it all relatively standard 20vt ko3 or ko4 all have this boost spike? is it to try and make them feel more "nippy"?

8. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

All mainstream turbo'd cars have a peak like that really outside of variable geometry turbos and sequential turbo etc...

Small turbo = boost at lower engine speeds but lower overall flow.

As soon as it gains boost it spins to maximum allowed speed and gives you 1.5 bar at say 3000rpm. To give 1.5 bar at 6000rpm it'd need to flow twice as much air i.e. spin twice as fast... which it can't. So you get say 1.5 bar at 3000rpm and only 0.8 at 6000rpm.

Bigger turbo might be able to supply 1.5 bar @ 6000rpm but at the cost of greater effort to spin it and so might take untill 4000rpm before it boosts up.

1 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch.

Type in to google 1.5 bar in psi and hit search :)

9. Admin Guest

My K03s happily ran 23psi peak.

The K04 should also be doing about the same max, 26psi is too much.

10. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

thats comforting as i hit 20psi peak and have been pretty concerned that this was upsetting the turbo. as above id imagine that 1.6bar is pretty bad.

11. challice Forum Member

why do i keep seeing that the K04 dosent like more than 1.5bar when i drive mine on full boost it spikes to 1.6 1.7 an will only drop to ruffly 1.4 an holds it...ive been driving it like this since november an its perfectly fine..this is on a BAM 225 on emerald running approx 290-300...

12. Admin Guest

Thats not correct, as the K04 cant flow enough to produce 290-300 unless you mean ft.lbs.

280 is about the max you can get from a proper accurate measurement of a K04.

13. krazykev Forum Member

People should remember about port sizes aswell.

1.4 bar on a large port AGU can sometimes equate to 1.6bar on a small port BAM (for example)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  14. challice Forum Member

i dont know about that but its confirmed 301lbf/ft...my K04 is goin soon anyways...

15. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

what plans you got son?

16. Chaps Forum Member

Challice - if you are wanting to shift ur turbo soon i will have it off you for right price.

Or any1 else that has a Decent K04 turbo. got cash waiting.

cheers.

17. challice Forum Member

wont be goin till may june next year....

was thinking of hybrid K04 due to the manifold that will be on the engine at the time but id rather go big big...GT somthing or other

18. Dan Martin New Member

I'm running a mk4 golf gti with a k03s turbo at 1.6bar no problems. Should I put my k04 on or not?