Gearbox frustration

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by slimwadey, Jun 6, 2021.

1. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Hi
    I'm struggling with choices of gearbox for my 20vt MK2 build
    Car will be around the 300hp mark
    I have the following
    02a ASD
    02a CTN
    02a DPA
    02j ENJ with Quaife

Obviously the Quaife will end up in whatever box I choose .
    Car is running 16" wheels with 195/45-16
    I'm after a nice energetic drive and then a smooth cruise in 5th at no more than 2k at 70mph .
    I've got a Gas N Gears Lightened/balanced flywheel and a CG Motorsports paddle clutch

Martin of Gas N Gears is pretty busy and can't fit me in or I'd say take all of them , build one good one and keep the rest for spares .
    So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the ENJ in a mk2 . As this has the diff I could just bolt it in .

I'd say I'd strip the boxes down and swap out what I need , but don't have experience in setting pre load or a press to replace bearings . .

Any advice is welcomed
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Mk4 tdi box? 100mm cups standard too, best of both worlds for drivability I'm led to believe, got mine delivered for about 125 complete, that's 5 speed. Cant remember the code though, I'll look tomorrow if like.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The enj has 108mm cups as standard, but 100mm will change in, 2 Allen bolts.
    Thought my box was a Euh, looking back through my scribbles, but that would have been 108s too so wasnt that code, as had 100mm standard on the one I got, golf tdi.
    I used a g60 flywheel with new vr6 clutch kit, think part number for the flywheel was 037105273C as I searched that and got one for £25 (no G60 scene tax) and was listed as a fabia 1.9 single mass, came with a 228mm plate and cover which I replaced.
    Sachs vr6 kit from heritage was £100 for the 3 piece set.
    Used mk3 hydraulic slave cylinder, and a boost fabrication hydro conversion for the pedal, HEL made a custom braided hose.

For comparison, same part number of flywheel, G60 £150, ibiza 1.9 £60 on the bay.

Attached Files:

4. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah the ASD and CTN are both mk2 TDI boxes.
    I have a flywheel and clutch already and also will fit my 100mm bolt in cups and 02j shifter tower to which ever box i go with.

dodgy likes this.