Vw Mk2 Jetta Coupe 4motion Build. (Recent Photos Added)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by waj27, Apr 18, 2018.

1. waj27 Forum Member

[​IMG]

I looked i have a full set but only one set thought i had a couple.

Right so my set up is as follows.

I originally was going to have them manual opening as above taken full set of 106/206 but i did some research and looked into doing them electric which i found out that 2002 Ford Galexy believe its the MK2 Ghia / Seat Alhambra / Vw Sharan shared the same platform. Plenty other cars have electric rear vent motors but i liked how compacted the Galexy ones were. I still used the pivot hinges from the 106 which were the correct distance from the glass hole to the B Pillar on the body. I had to make some bracket which mount the motor to the body / C pillar.. now i need to take my headlining down at some point will take some photos but its critical you need the angle right so that the window seal correctly on the seal otherwise you will have leaks. Have the bracket holes elongated to give some adjustment somehow i got mine first time round might find you making the bracket couple times.

(Think how i did it was fixed the bracket to the body and motor to the glass and then pulled it tight then marked out the holes)

Can just about see the bracket here but i made it so it tucks behind the C pillar cover didn't have to modify any of the pillar covers btw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Switch i also used a VW Sharan switch and i found the original wiring diagram you also need a relay again i used the relay from the sharan, think i got mine linked to a permeant live so hot all the time don't have to have the ignition on thats just my preference.

Obviously mine being a coupe the glass is smaller than the Golf so the rubber seal i don't know what you would need but maybe a VW Fox might be close and id imagine a Ford Fiesta MK3 will be large enough. I used Kia Sedona i also have a set of MG ZR to try at some point as these give the seal trim to go over the door card otherwise you will end up with a gap where the door card meets the seal. Chances are as its a Golf you might find some easy

My recommendation is to go to a scrap yard that lets you take out bits yourself take your original seal and loosely offer it to a car that has pop-outs that seems close.. its fine if its just slightly larger as it will give some wiggle room. Harry Bucklands in Cheltenham is a scrappy that you can walk in and take off yourself not overly far for you Craig paid £10 for a pair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    erreesse and cupracraig like this.
  2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you want to sell the manual set, let me know :)

3. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

brilliant, thanks!

You can buy the seals from heritage for the mk2 for £24 a side, so 2x windows and 2x seals will be about £100. 3 Piece Seal kit includes glass to frame seal, frame to body and body mounted seal

also keen on the manual parts

4. R9T

R9T Paid Member Paid Member

What a build! Loving the attention to detail on this and the trick little mods - really makes the difference.

5. waj27 Forum Member

send me an offer

As above send me an offer dont want to fallout with the 2 of you so if you deside amongest yourselves who to have them :)

Thanks really appreciate it, just doing the small bits that will make my life eaiser

6. waj27 Forum Member

Got the Coupe out this weekend, needed to give it its first ever clean and also didn't have photo's of it semi completed. Its about 98% finished few interior bits to do and think i'm going to try out a new front end on it hence why the lower grill isn't on the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vid link
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_-gbHqgI0R/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

cupracraig, erreesse and Savagesam like this.
  7. cupracraig

looks amazing! all that hard work has been well worth it

Savagesam likes this.
  8. waj27 Forum Member

Small update:

More of a refresh on a couple bits, wasn't overly happy with the radiator setup turns out the E30 radiator isn't upto scratch on a 20vt running a little bit hot on mine so decided to go for a twin fan setup at the same time also going to go for a larger intercooler.

Space is the major issue to had to find a rad slightly thiner core but still long enough for 2 rads, started off by trimming the slam panel and reinforcing it with s 8mm bar, so i can get a little bit more clearance.
    [​IMG]

New intercooler from a T5 nice and long with the pipe ends inwards at 2.5" so perfect for the pipework.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flat cover plate made which will hide the rad a little.
    [​IMG]

Welded the brackets on to hold the intercooler, rad will need offering to the car first before i can make the mounts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rad and also had an aluminium shroud made, with this can have the fan switch back on the rad as normal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the fit with the intercooler
    [​IMG]
    And the expansion bottle from a BMW which has an inbuilt level sensor hoping to utilise that as i have the option on the dash for warning.
    [​IMG]
    Adapted the R8 cap to fit.
    [​IMG]

This is where i plan to house it providing i got enough room it will be tight but should just about get the charge pipe to snake round fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Need to move house first before i can fit it all and that should be that done.

Also done a refresh on some Golf Headlights which i want to try out. Slightly larger projector also sourced some electric adjustor motors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  9. cupracraig

the attetion to detail is second to none!

10. waj27 Forum Member

Small update, recently moved house so not had much on the car but its home now and set about adding the bits above.

Garage floor also painted below it officially came home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Didn't have enough room for the expansion bottle where i wanted it but its relocated but now got plenty room than i did before between the rad and the inlet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

erreesse and Simon Peter Dodgson like this.
  11. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's all so shiny, I love it!

12. waj27 Forum Member

Cheers

13. waj27 Forum Member

Front end complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

I wasn't too sure about the projector headlights but I actually now think they suits the colour of the car! Love it.

Savagesam likes this.
  15. waj27 Forum Member

Cheers, i'm sure it not for everyone and possibly to modern for the car but seems a waste to not use the wiring already there for the xenon's.

16. waj27 Forum Member

Small update,

Boot now almost complete needs a good clean all the covers in and small sub installed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 Piece Scuttle also finished which wraps up most of the engine bay also needs dusting off eventually

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  17. cupracraig

I had to go back and re-read this. Utterly brilliant thread

Savagesam likes this.
  18. waj27 Forum Member

Been a long time party because not had a great deal done to the car and with covid etc.
    I did manage to take the car to a show last september at Castle Combe which is about 40miles from me so longest drive it did since being on the road. It didn't go to plan though car wasn't charging the battery which i only noticed after i tried to head back home and it wouldn't start, dodgy earth, jump started it and instantly noticed it was sounding like it was running on 3 cylinders one coilpack had failed but nursed it home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New NGK sparkplugs and Coilpack later it was back to normal and decided i would get it ready to be mapped so first thing was to redo the TIP and have the MAF as far away from the turbo had some 3" stainless bends which i pieced together and kinda of looks like its running MAF less

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Headed down to Bill at Badger 5 had some issues trying to strap it down on the dyno lets just say bill wasn't a fan of the stretch 16" A8s. on the last run the wheel slipped slightly off the tyre enough to have a flat tyre and it was game over but it had made 272BH and 298ft-lb more than enough for what i will use it for and was quite impressed with it being at 230bh on the first run, not bad for a 115K stage 1 engine, all i have is a 3" downpipe down to 2.5, backbox and resonator, NKG plugs and coils and the K&N filter with a T5 intercooler, 4bar fuel pump, stock ECU, stock injectors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other little bits added, Genuine GTI spoiler, US numberplate Tub which i will be changing for a custom Heckblende and also drew up a rear window blind which i had laser cut in black acrylic. Next year plan to get an Air Ride setup and thats about it, have it at a few more shows and potentially look to find another build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

erreesse, cupracraig and dodgy like this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I love this car.

20. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Fantastic, love it.