2011 passat 2.0 tdi limp mode.

Discussion in 'Passat' started by mk2 nas, Dec 14, 2021.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,long story short got the flashing glow pĺug light on dash.this happened stopped at shop restarted car within minutes happened again.after a few times the eml
    Is now on.any ideas.
    Had a new turbo fitted less than 10k ago
    Also had new egr at the same time.
    Thanks.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Doesn't that usually mean a faulty injector?

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

I suppose could be a number of things
    Son in law got a decent code reader see what code codes I get.
    Egr and turbo out of warranty by 7 days so hoping none of these again but unlikely after covered only 7k in 12 months.

4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Got codes 08491
    Anyone?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk4 era flash the glowplug light up when the brake pedal switch fails, worth a look I guess? though being this new it may have a distance sensor in the brake servo instead

did your scan tool give any more information than that? not in my list for VW codes, I did find one of them in an audi thread but not the other:
    08491,Intake air temperature 2 before throttle valve

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks RJ.the latest is I had a new egr and turbo 4/12/20 at 130k the car has done only 6k in a year.the bloke who did all the work came out today ran diagnostics and got codes for egr electrical side of egr.the egr was under guarantee untill 4/12/21 so around 10 days ago but hes sure the egr is duff.he is however still going back to the supplier as this seems unreasonable if it has failed 10 days out of warrenty.but then that would be my sort of luck lol.fingers crossed but even if they do supply another hes still gonna charge something.
    On another way of thinking am wondering wether to just get somewhere like vrs to take off all the unnecessary crap like the egr etc
    And have a remap done at same time.
    Problem solved and no pita egr no more your thoughts.
    Car is 2.0 tdi bluemotion 61 plate
    140bhp I know a map can get it to 185bhp with 420nm of torque so worth doing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

might be a good plan,. dont think it will affect engine running but I'm no expert on these do dont follow my advice get a pro to comment :lol:

mk2 nas likes this.
  8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Had several deletes on my leon, egr, dpf and a remap. In fact, I have had it done on all the recent diesel cars I've had, mini, qashqai, A4 and BMW and the leon, no problem them at all and more mpg too, recommend it .

mk2 nas likes this.
  9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Latest is mechanic has somehow convinced his supplier to supply another egr.they have agreed to give me/him a new egr as a good will gesture as they agree 5k on a new is nothing despite the fact the warrenty was out by only a week.my mechanic a mobile bloke
    Who is really good dosnt want anything for changing it as it shouldn't of happened.but I cant really have him do a four hour job for nothing(so will get money off me)the supplier said there will be (no warranty)on the replacement.seems fair enough cant have a rolling guarantee.
    I'd still rather declutter the car so I'm gonna ask my mechanic if he just wants to keep the new egr for another job.remove mine and anything else he can then get a remap.see what he says.or just go with the new egr untill the next problem.as theres always gonna be a "next time".

10. dodgy

Might be a kit to replace the egr as it was on my cuna(?) Tdi engine, darkside do them but it was mega bucks, just fit it and get it mapped out electronically so it's shut, if it's sealed then no worries, can also fit a blank in the system pipework to be sure.
    The bmw kit was a pain to fit and ended up shearing studs where pipe fitted exhaust so had to drill them out in situ.

mk2 nas likes this.
  11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks so actually have the egr fitted map it out then when it fails "later"no eml.
    That's what your saying.right?

12. dodgy

Yes, but hopefully it won't fail again later, as it will be shut anyway if mapped out.
    On the older tdi in the mk2 caddy you could just block the vac pipe that operates it so it stayed closed, (as long as was clean enough to seal), no light to come on on them, now it's all electric so needs jiggery pokery of the ecu.
    Slipping a blanking plate in the pipe where it bolts on (or a core plug in the tube even) makes sure it's sealed.
    The egr on the bmw was problematic and started leaking exhaust gas even though it was the replacement following a manufacturer recall, so removal was the best thing to do.
    A friend had a mk3 caddy that he thought had head gasket failure so replaced it, then changed engine for a low mileage one as it was still smoking, and no better, eventually tracked it to the water-cooled egr having an internal leak causing water to enter inlet tract.
    While on about water-cooled egr, my leon would loose the water in header tank every so often just after I bought it, that was the dpf regeneration cycle getting the system so hot that it boiled the water to the point of loss, Dpf 'solution ' and never had the problem since.

13. dodgy

Plus, (sorry waffling on [:D]) after getting a pd manifold for my old caddy conversion and seeing the amount of crud caused by recirculation of exhaust gases that had built up in it, was quite shocking.

14. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Oh I know how bad egr,s crud things up took one of my old b5.5 awx 130.
    I seem to remember the bore hole in the egr
    Was around 60mm in diameter and 45mm of it was carbon.my guess is they were only put on diesels to lower emissions marginally but for the agro they are just pointless.plus shortens the engine life eventually with everything getting caked up.
    I dont trust modern cars too much your only ever one bleep from limp mode.
    I could drive my mk1 Scotland and back and be confident in its reliance too.

dodgy likes this.
  15. Adamss24 Forum Member

Unfortunately modern cars are like that, i suggest you only fit a genuine VW egr assembly, every aftermarket one i have fitted was either faulty (could not program it in!) or did fail shortly withun the warranty period ! As its a quite involved job to get it out i would stress fit a genuine part ! If mapped out it will require DPF removal as well as that will likely fail soon ! EGR is actively required into dpf regens in order to bring up the intake/exhaust temperatures to initiate regen cycles.

mk2 nas likes this.
  16. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok understood as things stand being replaced tomorrow by the guy who did it before it's not costing barely anything.dont know what make it is.just take the chance for now and hope it does a year or two.next time it fails or the dpf does I'll take a different route.

dodgy likes this.