Mk5 gti next purchase

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by mk2 nas, Dec 5, 2021.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

so I've had a few golfs.
    Tornado red 5 door gti pb (sold)
    Atlas grey gti 3 door (sold)
    Montana green 5 door driver 1.8 (sold)
    Still have my mk1 cabrio 1982 gli rare Sudan brown.(not selling any time soon)
    As much as I have fun in the cabrio I feel it's just a play thing and not really something I want to drive a lot but nice to have.
    So I'm thinking of buying a mk5 gti while they are still in abundance and not overly priced for a decent one.unless I went down the lines of edition 30 or a Pirelli (10k plus)
    Don't know a right lot about mk5 gti golfs.but I know I want 3 door in either candy white,black
    Or dark blue and heated leather.
    I'm a manual fan mainly but I have drove dsg and they are great.but I think I'll end up with a manual.
    Any advice before I commit myself welcome,thanks.

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I had a red Edition 30, only sold it due to a divorce settlement. OMG I would sell my Corrado for another.
    The half leather is quality against standard fabric bolsters, just a quality car that shifts.
    DSG was my 1st experience and I would have it again. Flappy paddles and launch control being great fun.
    There is a lot if rubbish out there, but they are a more refined car and a nice Gti upgrade.
    If your budget could get one, you would not be disappointed

mk2 nas likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I had a tired, dog eared, high mileage, red (ish....) 3dr manual, standard with the small turbo... And I'd have one again in a heartbeat.

If i had another, I'd get a mild remap, some proper front brakes, good suspension and stuff like Caster Increased ball joints, and the anti lift kit.
    For relatively small money you'd have a seriously good fun, yet usable car.

4. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Yes tbh.id like a top notch mk2 gti.3 door low miles in a nice original condition unmolested
    But in all honesty not many around and if I found one I dont think I'd want to buy one at 10k plus that's why I'm going to jump into the mk5.proper drivers car like the mk2 gti.but more refined and cheaper to get yes theres some dog tired mk5 golf out there but with last last ones only around 13 years old now should be plenty of decent ones to be found.

5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

So today I took the plunge and travelled down to stanwell area to look at a mk5 gti.
    Having looked at a few but not too seriously thought this was gonna be of similar condition.but despite being 16 years old I would say condition is very good with small
    Cosmetic jobs to do.car is mostly stock with brake upgrade,stainless cat back exhaust.
    M.o.t only till march,but it ticked most of the boxes.candy white,3 door,dsg just 104k
    With history upto 78k,and 18"monzas.
    A bit of tidying up but nothing major. IMG-20211213-WA0002.jpg IMG-20211213-WA0003.jpg IMG-20211213-WA0002.jpg m IMG-20211213-WA0003.jpg IMG-20211213-WA0002.jpg IMG-20211227-WA0011.jpg IMG-20211213-WA0005.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Congratulations and a great colour. I'm sure it has put a smile on your face. Enjoy the dsg and let us know what you think to it.

mk2 nas likes this.
  7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks they are a lovely motor.its not perfect
    A few bubbles in the usual places but I've seen much worse.ive been looking for a while but didnt rush in.i knew I wanted 3 door in candy white,dsg or manual was a struggle for me as I'm a manual man usually.
    But I'm taken in with the dsg.
    There is a list of "to do"then it will be spot on.
    Smiled all the back from london jaw ache.
    A couple.of other mods already done are h&r
    Springs and porsche brake upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Congratulations, lovely Christmas treat! HnR and the brakes are a nice upgrade!

mk2 nas likes this.
  9. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Lovely car. I have a soft a lot for these as well. Have never owned one but would like to at some stage.

mk2 nas likes this.
  10. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Dont know too much about mk5,s I've done a fair bit with mk1,s mk2s.
    But this is a new area for me. wanted to get one sooner rather than later just incase they start to go up and up in value so take the plunge now.

11. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice, looks great in white too. Very tempted by a mk5 myself but too much on to contemplate at present.
    Nice having the brake kit too, seriously thinking of that on the leon, what size are they?

12. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Honestly dont.know the size of the brakes
    Think the guy said might be boxster brakes
    Whatever size they are.320mm not sure.

dodgy likes this.
  13. dodgy

Brake envy here again, is a really nice car you have.

14. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

These are the brakes.disks had been unused for a few weeks so hence the Mark's but smoothed off now.
    Car has spend most of its early years around Aberdeen.some services done by porsche in shotts.think maybe 2 owners In scotland and then 2 in west london.im number 5.
    Screenshot_20211227-165233_Gallery.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  15. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Been assessing jobs to do on this mk5gti.
    The work list to do before I'm happy with it.
    As follows
    Cambelt,waterpump,aux belt.(shiny old)
    New drivers door lock mech.
    Check out airbag light problem.read today as n199 ?
    New rear disks & pads (well worn out)
    Minor-ish bubbly paint 3 or 4 areas.
    New filters,new oil.
    Not so soon but DSG service later.
    Refinish monzas,some Mark's.

16. dodgy

Probably looked it up, but n199 looks like drivers side airbag sensor.
    I've edited this now after further looking,
    Seems as it could be the loom under drivers seat, more common on the 3 doors than 5 due to the fold mechanism moving it, first port of call I would think.
    Look for yellow tape as there was mentioned of a vw fix that used it to designate it had been done, unsure if was a recall or not though.
    Some audis throw the n199 for side airbag sensor that is in the door or pillar apparently too.
    I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will confirm or suggest my perusing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022