ABF Misfire? No Comm to ECU.

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by GGray, Jul 30, 2021.

1. GGray New Member

I just imported a 1996 GTI 16V with the ABF engine to the US. I cannot get my scan tool to talk to the engine ecu. Will it only allow VAGCOM to talk to the ECU?
    I can talk to and look at all the ABS information on my handheld just not the ECU.

Like an idiot I decided to clean the motor and used engine cleaner then hosed it off...
    I now have a misfire and no way to check if it has a code, or watch live data stream, on my hand held I use at my shop.

On a side note the ABF 2.0 16V is one sweet motor!! Pulls great up top! WAY nicer than any 16V motor we have in the US! I'm hooked on the little ABF motor.

Thanks!

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

For the u.k. (and quite likely other territories) the diagnostic socket has a 'patching box' lurking in the wiring around/above the fuse box. The two data lines to the socket plug into it using a 2-pin connector, while a cars' different Ecu's use coloured single-pin plugs. I think engine/immobiliser is Brown (with Grey-white wire), while Abs is Black, Srs/airbag is definitely Red, and A**omatic Yellow. Maybe the engine plug isn't making contact.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it has an immobiliser try scanning that, address 25. sometimes they fail inside and stop diagnostics passthru to the ecu, simple test for that is unplug the 6 pin plug from the box and carefully loop a wire between the grey and grey/white wires.

though my first thought after what you've done is damp in the dizzy cap or maybe waters got into one of the plug holes, pull all the ignition stuff off and have a look. leads all the same as KR/9A/PL so hopefully you can get some, preferably beru or bosch. cap is the only abf specific thing really

4. GGray New Member

It dried out and seems to be fine now.

Less aggressive cleaning I think is the key

5. Schtirlitz New Member

You can connect to ABF ECU by cheap ~ 7$ VAG Com cable or RossTech-VCDS