Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

2. MJA

OK speaking to myself abit but sharing for others who are still doing the coversion. I watch Resto Designs on youtube and studied the recent Royal Blue mk2 with my setup. Asked the question in the comments, Nando replied and it is a common issue (suprised not mentioned in this thread or maybe peps don't have my ocd on standards), mk3 subframe helps but do need to cut a notch in the bonnet to make it happen. Apparently there are 2 different bonnet designs so some cars not affected. Well there you go that's the answer.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Can you cut the mk3 rear mount down, like is required for r32 swap?
    Not 100% but sure I've read it is relatively simple to do.

MJA likes this.
  4. MJA

Maybe I didn't know that was an option but googled - so take the mount apart, cut 20-25mm out of the rubber and metal sleeve and put it back. That would work but think that option is for a mk3 style subframe and mount. However that still gives me even more flexibility with the mk3 frame. My mate has a mk3 frame I'm getting blasted with the rest of my stuff so will swap it over - I hope the mk2 gearbox will mate up with the mk3 frame ok. I know the controls arms are ok.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This is How to ABF your MK2 Golf, not Corrado. So cannot comment how the ABF engine fits in that chassis.

You probably did not see any mention of mounts, as all the cars in the thread, never had an issue with the MK2 items used.
    And during trial fit of the engines, any fouling was checked.
    I should point out, all cars used the later Digifant 3.2 engine as a base, except the Kjet. The inlet manifold and throttle body on a Digifant 3.0 engine, does not sit high up to foul the bonnet.
    The Kjet car used all 020 gearbox parts and KR/PB/EV brackets, while cars with the 02J/02A gearbox used Corrado 8/16v front mount brackets.
    Passat flat front mount was used.

I will remind readers, this was written for a MK2 Golf back in 2005 or so, with what was presented in front of me at the time.

G plate and red cars are still around with the original engines, then there are two of my own cars, one gave the engine up for the WOLF R project.

Perhaps your Corrado has a lower bonnet line, meaning you need to get creative, if it is to use the inlet manifold and throttle from an original digifant 3.0/3,2 engine.

6. MJA

Corrado? I wouldn't do that - got a VR6 in there. Thought this was a mk2 thread. As I said above - Golf mk2 16v KR kjet car with ABF head and block under otherwise stock KR manifold fouls bonnet to a point where the bonnet is raised at the hinge by 50-70mm to enable bonnet to close. Mk2 subframe with mk2 mounts.

Saw Nando's same setup is using a mk3 subframe and also heard you can cut down the bush on the mk3 rear mount if still having clearance issues so am going to give that a try.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  7. Toyotec

Apologies on my part. Serves me right for skim reading [:D]

You are doing something wrong if it fouls like that. For some reason the opening pictures are all dead which I need to fix in this thread.

Yes you can use a MK3 rear subframe, lowering the engine mount on ther driver's side , as we do for 24v VR conversions. But I am concered some other fundamental is wrong with your installation, before going down that route.

N7NDO's former car, with bits from a Toledo was used in the How to MS your MK2 Golf. He and another enthusiast who create those youtube clips are well known to me.

8. MJA

Cheers that did confuse me somewhat! I asked resto designs (I love VWs and enjoy his work!) and that's where I got the mk3 idea from. He did say he has seen it quite a few times and believes there may be 2 different designs.

I didn't do the conversion on my car but have it apart at the moment enough to see everything well as I am getting the rad support, cross member and rear beam blasted. I am restoring the underside of the car and also do want to paint the engine bay, dump the awful 4-1, so removing the engine is a probable in the near future.

The car is a '91 J Reg 3 door 16v car. It has had a new mk2 subframe installed, assume it is a pattern part - doesn't look like a VW one that has been powder coated or painted. This could be the issue.

Engine mount wise it is running a new mk2 16v front mount, the rear is mk2 bracket and mk2 16v hydro and the gearbox is stock mk2. The gearbox is also stock mk2 16v.

I'm happy enough to install a mk3 frame as the rear mk3 mount seems to have flexibility in the sense you can cut it down as needed.

Some pics of the set up:

02d39bc2-a8bc-46ae-a327-89b29d2f1f00.jpg

It rubs on the throttle body and the rubber intake boot also indents the bonnet insulation
    20220302_092954.jpg

And that is with the bonnet adjusted so it is raised like this:
    20220302_092912.jpg

I've also got a mk3 16v here as well for measurements. That car is 100% OEM as it left the factory. It is in similar state - rad support, beam etc is coming off for blasting so everything is easily assessable.

9. RussK Paid Member Paid Member

My car had a similar issue and the previous owner butchered cut the bonnet in roughly the same place.

PXL_20220503_191338800.jpg

PXL_20220503_191345376.jpg

*not a problem any more as I've gone to a fibreglass bonnet for the weight saving.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  10. Stew1803 New Member

Has anyone got experience with running weber 45s on an ABF

In the process of it (after a 5 year break) And have forgotten all I learnt back then.

Itll be on megajolt (again advice needed on attaching trigger wheel) and tps.

Cheers

Stew

11. Toyotec

Any of you on here or anyone?

Even though I wrote this thread specficially around the ABF conversion, what is your main reason to fit twin DOCEs to any 16v engine? Cost?

12. Stew1803 New Member

Because they sound good and look nice is the only reason. Purely doing it for my own satisfaction.

13. Toyotec

Carburetion can work to an acceptable standard. However your fuel mixture adjustment only has one narrow optimum window you have to match to the engine spec as your final jetting is fixed.
    The megajolt is far superior than fitting a "KR ignition ECU" that sits at 100kPa load all the time with open induction. So I like your thinking with the ignition system.
    I have been there and tuned that.
    On this forum and in particular this thread that I must restore the pictures, we are about getting the best performance out of engines, including the EA827 16v using components we can make ourselves with our resources and share on this group.

It for this reason I shared How to ITB your EA827 16v on this site
    I later gave more details of making the throttles here

You get looks, noise, cold starts and pull away, 20 mph cruise at lambda 1, enhanced performance and cylinder fill, your best jetted carburettors could only dream of.

Toyotecwerke 42 ITBs Mark Ikeda.jpg

Saying that,
    I have never done a how to sidedraft your ABF, because I had the skill to create and fit ITBs to them instead, so maybe you could do the honours and share your progress of the 45 DCOE project here?

14. Stew1803 New Member

I'll Update as much as I can, Little out of my comfort zone doing this, my main issue is setting up the megajolt. Ill have to figure out how to attach the trigger wheel, luckily I have a base map. but again I've no experience with using the system at all.

So far though I believe I have all components required.

Inlet mani, carbs, megajolt system etc. And I'm lucky enough to have a machine shop and fab shop so can make most anything.

If you have advice on the megajolt system I'm all ears for sure.

15. Toyotec

So it was you on my wall this morning [:D].

You have a configuration map on the Megajolt.

Ideally a professional needs to finish that part of the job for best results. However giving tips remotely to get it fired up, sure no problem.

Stew1803 likes this.
  16. Toyotec

So it was you on my wall this morning [:D].

You have a configuration map on the Megajolt.

Ideally a professional needs to finish that part of the job for best results. However giving tips remotely to get it fired up, sure no problem.

17. DanP21 New Member

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask the question but thought it was worth a go instead of starting a new oneā€¦

For my MK2 ABF, I have an external crank trigger wheel and mounting boss, both supplied by badger5. Is there fitment issues if I want to retain power steering as the crank pulleys are currently very close to the chassis rail?

Thanks in advance for any help!

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

probably best to ask badger5, I'm sure they'll know. how does the trigger mount to the sprocket

19. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Easier to use the std crank sensor position in the ABF block with a VR6 sensor...Ed can probably confirm the part number.

As for carbs on an ABF....they can work perfectly fine set up correctly...emphasis on the correctly bit...just twiddling screws isn't the answer. Carbs and mapped ignition work great, even better with some head and cam work...an easy 195-200hp for the taking.

Attached Files: