Golf mk 1.8t wiring loom

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Rixy, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Rixy New Member

Hi. Totally new on here, but this apparently is the place to get all the info. I’m looking into putting a 1.8t 20v agu engine into my t4.I’ve got the engine, but I’m short of the loom and ecu. I’ve searched the dreaded flea bay for looms, but struggling to find anything close. I fully realise I’ve got to butcher it up, but to have the right plugs and connections etc would be quite helpful. Is there any motors out there that run a similar loom and ecu??

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres a passat/a4 which is similar but I'd avoid them like the plague as its all sealed inside a solid lump of foam and you do NOT want to have to deal with that let me tell you from experience :lol:

any reason you dont want to go dbw? its easier to source these days and not many can be bothered to map the old stuff if that was your plan

3. Rixy New Member

Thanks for reply. Yes, I’ve heard a few stories about sticky foam and many messy wires which I am trying to avoid. As I’m quite new to the Vw tuning etc, I was advised that the original loom and a remap on the original ecu would be the best way to go, both Performance and ££££”s well spent. There is no reason at all I can’t go Dbw, just ignorance on my behalf. I’ve had a little play with the agu engine and got a k04 turbo, Saab red injectors, 4bar fuel pressure just to liven it up a little. . Any ideas if a decent stand alone set up? Cheers. Nigel

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yeah if you're planning to do all of that you'll prob be best going dbw, speak to your local tuners they'll have a list of hardware they know and can get good results out of then go from there.

Lots of aftermarket stuff to choose from,,again first you want to find a tuner who is well recommended near by and go from what they like to work with. no good building a megasquirt system say, if your local guy hates them and won't tune it :(

I'm not a tuner though hopefully Toyotec will be along to advise further as he is one of the top guys on here for that side of things. I just make looms :lol:

5. Rixy New Member

Thanks again for your input, and there’s no such thing as I “just” build looms, it’s an art in itself . I’ve got next week off so I’ll have a skirmish around, I’m in Suffolk, where we only just got electric !!! . I’m sure they’ll be some not too far away. I know some people saying about k04 wasted in t4 van etc, but it’s just a toy to enjoy, so why not?