Wheel painting fun...not

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by watercooled, Jul 25, 2022.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Finished my rear caliper adventure and happy enough but because I was looking @ my crappy looking wheels after removing many times for brake system checking and fluid change to total system.
    When I bought the Corrado it had Sebrings on it but the tyres were old , the wrong profile and not to mention serious curbing on the outer lips,bugger really as I think they are a great looking wheel.
    Had a set of Stilauto RX pattern 17 x 7.5"s I had on my 98 mk3 VR6 and always liked them ,35mm ET and 205/17/40 tyres so chucked them on the Corrado and they got knocked around a bit previous to this so time for a refurb.
    More to follow,cheers.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Had some silver metallic 1K PPG left over from one of my previously owned Golf MK2's so added some left over black metallic to that and came a dark silver which IMO looked better than the original bright silver ,took my mix to local Colorpac retailer and got 2 rattle cans made up.
    Got the first rim on my table and sanded it down with 320 dry lube then 400,prepped up rough outside lip with 220 ready for highbuild 1K etch grey primer, setting up for masking and I knock it off and it lands face down on my gritted stamped concrete ,the damage is real bad so the highbuild will come in handy lol.
    All prepped up and masked off I clean with duster gun and thinners on lint free cloth,then lay down a coat of my mix and find its still basically still silver but a bit dull ?, check the remnants of the paint can and find the paint guy didn't stir it right to the bottom as the black metallic had sunk down,we talk today and he was happy to see it was his issue and remix's all new cans for me no charge plus some free dry lube sandpaper....nice guy.
    Hopefully get my camera working and take progress pics and someone can learn as I go along as trust me have painted and repaired SO many alloys and happy to answer any repair and paint problems,cheers 560dd3855206cb6c696ba1a5.jpg

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Nice wheells but I love a set of Sebrings, when they have centre caps...

4. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks and yes they are smart wheels and would like to refit but 4 new tyres and extensive repairs on the rims puts me off ,if I sell the car they will be included in the sale,@ this stage that looks likely @ this stage I'am a bit pinched on funds as this resto has gone off the clock cost wise.
    The Sebrings would be easier to refinish paint wise as the Stilauto rims are a bastard to paint due to the spoke pattern.
    The 17''s have one set of tyres @ 60% and the other 2 are brand new so worth moving in this direction.
    Have 1 wheel done and about 90% happy,crap pic due to my dinosour camera lol,wheel looks heaps better in person.
    Sorry for the stolen pics of the 4 wheels as I had no pics of mine. P1010790.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  5. watercooled Forum Member

Second wheel sanded and lips now have 3-4 coats of high build primer ,this wheel was in pretty good nic really compared to the first one,had a full day of good weather and reasonably warm,as it got colder in the afternoon it was to late to finish masking to get some base coats on.
    Today is a wash out with heavy rain and real cold,for the cost of materials its simply not worth doing with so much moisture in the air bugger it :(.

6. watercooled Forum Member

Second wheel sanded and lips now have 3-4 coats of high build primer ,this wheel was in pretty good nic really compared to the first one,had a full day of good weather and reasonably warm,as it got colder in the afternoon it was to late to finish masking to get some base coats on.
    Today is a wash out with heavy rain and real cold,for the cost of materials its simply not worth doing with so much moisture in the air bugger it :(.

7. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

In my experience it's better to get wheels refinished by the pros that do them all day long The problem is who do you trust and how much do you want to pay.
    About 4 years ago I used Metal Magic in Barnsley. I think it cost £35 per wheel and they took the tyres off/put them on in with that price. All the surfaces are glossy smooth and I'm happy with the finish. You can pay a lot more. Previously I'd had them powder coated for the same price. They were dull and I had to pay someone to remove/refit the tyres. This all adds up and the last thing you want is some careless tyre fitter knackering your fresh rims.
    Personally I like painted Estorils - look great and low maintenance!

8. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I think prices have increased a bit I recently paid £50 per wheel for my g60 rims with tyre removal and fitting included I think it was worth that as sand blasting has to be better than trying to remove rust by hand.

MattRX likes this.
  9. watercooled Forum Member

All fair comments but I can direct the cost of a pro respray to other more important parts of my resto.
    I used to do tyre off painting as it is easier to paint them that way,in both cases rims were marked by tyre fitters who didn't give a rats about your nice shiny rims. If you need to get new tyres fitted do the refinishing after,my tyres as mentioned are new on the front and 60% on the rear otherwise IMO its money wasted getting them off refitting and rebalancing.
    Also I like the fact I know they are done right and I have control of the products used and final finish.
    My A6 allroad had resprayed rims before I bought the car off a mate,he payed 800NZD for that work and guess what when I fitted new tyres the rims were marked :(.

10. watercooled Forum Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  11. watercooled Forum Member

All fair comments but I can direct the cost of a pro respray to other more important parts of my resto.
    I used to do tyre off painting as it is easier to paint them that way,in both cases rims were marked by tyre fitters who didn't give a rats about your nice shiny rims. If you need to get new tyres fitted do the refinishing after,my tyres as mentioned are new on the front and 60% on the rear otherwise IMO its money wasted getting them off refitting and rebalancing.
    Also I like the fact I know they are done right and I have control of the products used and final finish.
    My A6 allroad had resprayed rims before I bought the car off a mate,he payed 800NZD for that work and guess what when I fitted new tyres the rims were marked :(.

12. watercooled Forum Member

13. watercooled Forum Member

Having issues with answering so till I find a reason for this I will proceed,got 3 wheels painted and happy after all the prep work however pics don't do them justice,ended up with a dark silver which looks great.
    My paint guy added a blender that raises the flake up and even with the clearcoat they are a satin finish which I like,last wheel will be done soon but another weather bomb on the way so can't help that .
    Bought some generic wheel caps (chinese ) to replace the old ones but the fitment wasn't 100% but with small correction think they look ok and now fit good.

Attached Files: