ABS 01276 error help

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Louis_Cleaver, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I have done engine conversion and only issue I have now is sporadic signal outside tolerance in my ABS pump 01276.

I’ve cleared the code and it comes back, checked my fuses and checked the main culprits wires, ground and live with multi meter at the connector and they appear to be ok,

I did consider just buying a known working ABS ecu unit but I can’t find a part number on mine.

does anyone know what the part number would be for a mk3 gti colour concept1997.

Failing that does anyone have any advice on what else to check?

I have read you can remove and open theABS ECU and clean and resolder the earth and live terminals, but it involves cutting open the casing.

ideally I’d like to have a spare if I’m going to do this.

it’s not the only issue i have before putting through and MOT.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

vagcom will show the part number when you scan it, once you have that we can cross reference in ETKA to list compatible units :)

there are 2 numbers for abs pump plus 2 more for abs+edl depending on the cars chassis number, and for the ecu unit same again 2 for normal and 2 for edl (ecu part number is on the bottom, thats why you cant see it I expect)

3. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

I have had a torch and mirror under which has been a pain to do but no evidence of a part number on it.
    My laptops knackered (as in I drove over it) so been using my handheld to scan.

mill check again with that, otherwise it’ll be pulling the unit to check it.

4. rubjonny

ok if you let me know chassis code and if its pure abs or abs+edl I can check. you might be able to swap between abs and abs+edl just by changing the control unit but not 100% sure

5. rubjonny

ok if you let me know chassis code and if its pure abs or abs+edl I can check. you might be able to swap between abs and abs+edl just by changing the control unit but not 100% sure

6. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

Ahh ok cool, I’ll have to grab that tonight.
    Thank you

7. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

I removed the unit, and opened it up, all contacts look good inside, gave it a clean and sealed it back up, refitted to the car, not just need to bleed the system and test it.

part number was covered in grease and dirt.

Attached Files:

8. rubjonny

Ok so 3A0907379D is superceeded by 3A0907375 which is the 'late' version, matching pump is 1J0698117/117A which is a MK4 part number cant see the previous MK3 numbers on ETKA but might only have been available as 1 single part back in the day looking at it.

you might be able to fit the abs+edl 3A0907375A unit as a replacement but not sure on that one, if it did work you would need matching ABS+EDL pump 1J0698217A and I'd assume some kind of wiring mod somewhere possibly a jumper wire added I remember reading something about that for mk4 era

9. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

I’ll have a look at the replacement parts numbers thank you for your help on this.
    I going to order some replacement braided rear lines to replace the rubber ones, as they don’t look so healthy.

I’ll see if I can find what needs to be done in the forums.

your help has been invaluable! And it’s appreciated.

10. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I know it’s been a while and I’ve not really looked at this but I finally sourced a replacement and spent the day sizzling installing it, turns out I still get the same fault code.
    Output tests all sensors are reading ok, ecu is scannable and shows no faults till I drive it, a couple hundred meters.
    wheels are recording speed so I don’t think it’s the sensors.
    I have done A 20vt conversion but from memory didn’t touch the brake circuits unless when putting it all back in I disconnected something.

I wondered if the reluctor rings on the rear could be responsible if quite old or if anyone had any form of wiring information for this so I can check out feeds etc properly.

I only wonder if reluctor related as all appears on until I move the car. Though saying abs only works for moving it….

your help would be awesome if anyone knows anything could be useful

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I know on mk4s they had a problem with the fuses for the ABS, well actually the fuse box on top of the battery, on the factory VAG machine if you followed the test plan it would say to replace the ABS module! Incorrect.

Whats the actual fault code? If its a sensor/reluctor fault it should give a mechanical error code.

12. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I did think it could be fuse / wire related like the mk4 but I’m sure I didn’t touch those circuits (it was 2014 when I done the wiring). Only decided to put it back on the road this year.

the code says ABS Hydrualic Pump (V64)
    Static -Signal
    Outside Tolerance 01276/KWP1281

13. davidut5 Forum Member

Abs wiring plug should have four bigger pins, two are positive two are negative. Just check those under some load to be sure they have power. If they do, could be just another bad pump motor(can be tested with 12v), or as i found out when retrofitting, solder joints cracked, also giving fault code relating to pump motor.
    See this thread, post 9.
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...-abs-sistem-on-mk2-jetta.291249/#post-2515576

14. Louis_Cleaver Paid Member Paid Member

I’ll put apart my old unit later today see if I can locate any fault solder points.
    Thank you