1595cc hyd 8v thread - getting more power

Discussion in '8-valve' started by utwor2001, Sep 13, 2022.

1. utwor2001 New Member

Heya. New out here, and would like to introduce myself with this thread, straight to the point.

My car is a MK2 1600 runner, EU based "PN" engine code 70hp (2EE Pierburg carb).

Current specs:
    - 2ltr "ADY" cam
    -factory 57mm diameter exhaust to keep backpressure, all decatted exept for the factory mid straight-through
    -1800 "RP" oil filter base + 2ltr "2E" oil-coolant heat exchanger
    -675mm A/C model radiator with Passat B3 fan shroud
    -1800 MK3/B4 "ABS" full v-ribbed conversion

There's plans for MK4 1600 "AKL" head in the near future with 37mm CV Mikuni bike carbs off Yamaha R6 (RJ03 it was i belive) and factory MK4 1600 "AVU/BFQ" 4-2-1, but for now the car needs to serve me a little time before i give it the treatment :p.

Currently my head gasket is shot and i will be taking the head off in couple of days. Questions are:

1. What would be the best CR, skimming the factory counter flow head with the current camshaft and the 2EE carb still in mind? The head have never been off the car as far as i know ('91 make, 198kkm on the clock 100% proven as it was my family's car) so shouldn't be skimmed off factory specs. How much to skim off to get to that certain CR? Hypothetically speaking the head is factory spec and the gasket is 1.74mm. What fuel octane would be the least i could use afterwards, not counting below 95? (Poland standard).

2. Looking to break at least that 100hp mark before going crossflow bike carbed, so probably getting GTi k-jet dizzy soon too if i find any. What else would help me get there? Any info will be highly appreciated!

2. utwor2001 New Member

measured my head and it's 132.5mm in overall height

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  3. davidut5 Forum Member

I had 1.6 EZ, and replaced crank and pistons for 1.8 GU, this was the best power gain for me.

4. utwor2001 New Member

already skimmed 1.5mm, getting the car back together today hopefully. I'll let you guys know how it turned out for the people interested in such action

5. utwor2001 New Member

The car's running fine in terms of the head being sliced. Sounds waaay better than it did beforehand. Have to play around with ignition timing now + there's something wrong with the carbie. Will give feedback later on!

6. utwor2001 New Member

Found out what was wrong, o-ring from the low rpm actuator shattered and clogged the system and it ran way too lean when hot. Now it's running perfect, just need the 210mm clutch disc conversion now [8D]

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Good work.

8. utwor2001 New Member

The car's fucked atm lol. I baked the coolant doing 180km/h due to radiator fan thermal switch failure. Head gasket cracked i assume between 3rd and 4th cylinder, or the head warped. Yet to dissasamble it, it happened roughly 2 months ago. Right now i'm getting together a 2.0 ABT (Audi 80) head to put it on the 1.6 runner (only head featuring bigger intake valves like in 8v GTi's, keeping the carburetor intake ports/manifold mounting points). Did a port-matching job with some slight porting. Every port is now consistant 30mm in diameter (some were 28 to 29mm before). Will be putting a 2B2 Zenith/Pierburg carb off a '74 Scirocco 1.5 runner on top of that instead of the wack 2EE Pierburg. Need to source a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold now. Hoping for around 90hp!