Mk2 16V KR strong fuel smell outside car

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 16vkrNL, Apr 17, 2022.

1. 16vkrNL New Member

Hi all,

My 16V KR has a really bad fuel smell coming outside of the exhaust. it also has a rough time starting cold (even worse with 5th injector connected) The car also seems to die when the 5th injector is connected and the car is revved high in 2nd gear. I recently replaced the injectors and before i did that the garage adjusted the CO to 2.5%.

I am suspecting that the car is running too rich now but id like to know what you guys think it could be.

2. daNpy Forum Member

Yeah that sounds like it's running quite rich.

3. watercooled Forum Member

Sounds like you will need to adjust the CO again,I found the same issue when doing recent ABF swap with KR injection,idle was a bit rough on cold start and the same smell you have,made the adjustment (leaner) and now very smooth and no more stink,cheers.

4. Marsenmax New Member

hi guys I'm going crazy I have a golf Mk2 gti 16v kr, where I find it stinks from the gasoline exhaust and an excessive consumption of gasoline, to premise that the car drives well I have no problems at idle and I have no problems with jerking

5. 16vkrNL New Member

The fix for me was going to the local garage and ask them to re-check the CO. I was almost at 3%, you might have the same issue.

Did you change anything to the fuel system? new injectors/injector seals etc?

6. Marsenmax New Member

hello I have not changed anything only I had a large consumption of gasoline and it stinks from the exhaust, today I went to do the test and I adjusted the co hopefully everything will be resolved

7. Marsenmax New Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  8. Marsenmax New Member

Ragazzi dopo aver fatto manutenzione alla golf sono andato a controllare il CO di nuovo ma ho trovato una brutta sorpresa da 2,19% oggi era 0,34% e sembra come se la vite che regola l'aria sul corpo farfallato perde aria , ha qualche guarnizione da sostituire quella vite nel corpo farfallato?

9. Marsenmax New Member

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you cant get the screw any more, but what you can do is buy a big box of o rings and pick nearest size

11. Marsenmax New Member

Ho cercato un esploso dove facesse vedere l'oring ma non ho trovato nulla ho sia etka che elsawin ma nulla

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you just unscrew the idle screw and swap the oring, nothing fancy :)

the idle screw isnt even shown in ETKA diagram, you can see it listed on a line under the throttle though
    Clipboard01.jpg

13. Marsenmax New Member

Esatto ho lo stesso diagramma e non trovavo la vite con l'oring, grazie domani provo a svitare

14. Marsenmax New Member

Tutto ripristinato era la sonda dell'elettrauto che misurava male 20221123_112315.jpg