1.8t swapped mk1 engine wiring

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Fat-Col, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Fat-Col New Member

Right guys iv just 1.8t swapped my 1981 mk1 cab, I bought a complete auq conversion that come from a mk1 swap, it came with a auq loom for the top half of the engine (in a bag not fitted) got the engine in an come to the wiring and none of the wiring fits due to it having agu cable throttle body, my first thought was use a agu loom an ecu but it has the different style coils so that won’t work, thought about going to auq dbw throttle body but the loom doesn’t fit most of the sensors on the engine just feel like someone’s had my pants down, but I did see a video of this engine running in a mk1, the guy I bought it from never had it fitted in his so he’s no use to me, any advice on my next move or my options

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Get some pictures up of exactly what you’ve got. The sensors on a 1.8t between AGU & AUQ, aren’t hugely different but you’ll have a couple extra on the auq loom, for throttle body etc.

Our gurus on here will point out what you need and how to go about getting it going

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

in a nutshell, if the loom is well made just swap everything thats different over from aum/auq/whatever it'll all bolt onto the agu block. next question though is what ecu have you got to go with it, and what was it tuned for

4. Fat-Col New Member

The block is auq with agu inlet from what I can see, wiring and ecu is standard auq

5. rubjonny

ok so log as ecu is stock and all the loom is for aum/auq just fit all the missing aum/auq bits then off you go

6. Fat-Col New Member

So go back to dbw and fit all auq sensors ?

7. rubjonny

if the wiring loom is a good one, yes thats what I'd suggest. though if you would prefer dbc and can source a well made loom for it by all means

would save having to mount pedal, but afaik you can buy off the shelf pedal brackets plus making your own isnt all that difficult as its flat mounted