Retro Radio

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by T5Man, Nov 30, 2022.

1. T5Man Paid Member Paid Member

Having searched and concluded that I can't get the car stereo that I want ( short body/mechless/bluetooth/green display) I thought about getting one of these. There are some compromises but the the retro look is worth the sacrifice.

Does anyone else have one of these?

upload_2022-11-30_19-56-31.png

2. Matt Golf Forum Member

Good but Bremen dab is awesome. Expensive but it looks amazing. Look out for it on offer. I got one and I don’t regret it even if the build quality is not a shadow of what Blaupunkt used to be. Blaupunkt Frankfurt looks good too, if perhaps more 90’s than 80’s

3. T5Man Paid Member Paid Member

Bremen is a bit out of my price range but it looks great.

4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

I have a San Francisco 320 from the same product range, cheap on that online auction site.

Performance is OK, about average, no more than that. It has lots of features, front and back USB, front 3.5mm jack input, front and rear pre-outs.

The big problem with it is that the display is very dim. It's fine in the dark but on anything other than a gloomy day you cannot read the display without shielding it from the light with your hands and peering closely at the screen. To me that's a big drawback. You'd be best checking how it is daylight or bright light yourself if you value reading the display!

Oh, and bear in mind that Blaupunkt (part of Robert Bosch) was sold in 2009, went bankrupt in 2015 and the name was bought by a company in Luxembourg. The once respected company has gone the same way as Grundig, Lucas and many others whose name is all that now remains as a ghost of the former company.

Those "Blaupunkt" radios are made in China and have paid for the right to use the Blaupunkt name. I suspect an electric toothbrush manufacture could negotiate the rights to use the name too if they so wished.

...just so you know!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  5. Matt Golf Forum Member

Yep agree with above. The build quality is not good

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Sevilla RD104 for sale on marketplace
    Jon

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Yep the Bremen is the proverbial dog's gonads but the price is pretty alarming - hard to believe the kind of money that older genuine Blaupunkt's are commanding now.

8. T5Man Paid Member Paid Member

It's fitted and I'm pretty pleased with it. There seems to be a background noise on the radio but I mostly listen to stuff from my phone so it's not too much of a problem. The phone book is a bit clunky to sort through if you want to make a call and I cannot turn off the annoying beep but for £100 I've got hands free, wireless audio streaming and it looks good in the dash.

Matt Golf and costel1969 like this.
  9. Matt Golf Forum Member

Any pics?

10. T5Man Paid Member Paid Member

I'm away at the moment but I'll do it when I return. Sadly the radio is in better condition than the dash trim around it. It has a few scratches from years of radio removals and refits.

11. costel1969

12. T5Man Paid Member Paid Member

20221220_133232.jpg

drunkenalan likes this.
  13. costel1969

Nice and tasty looking in there - good call.

T5Man likes this.
  14. Matt Golf Forum Member

Very nice, that suits the car, not too modern looking and not too many buttons

T5Man likes this.