GTD egr fault

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by afbiker02, Dec 21, 2022.

1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

So I've started getting the flashing glow plug light again on my gtd, I used my cheap code reader and got code p0403, egr "A" control circuit/open. Is it worth pulling the egr valve to clean it or should I just replace the valve? Also, after watching some youtube video's, I was wondering about egr restrictor plates. is there any benafit from fitting one?

2. davidut5 Forum Member

P0403 usually means new egr unit. If you have to replace it go for the oem vw stuff, the others give headaches from the start or little time after.
    Last one with p0403, had a worn shaft with exhaust gasses escaping in the bearing cam area, plus worn bearing on the cam, was about 360pounds genuine vw.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    afbiker02 likes this.
  3. Adamss24 Forum Member

You do not say which gtd do you have, as above you either replace like for like or have the egr deleted in the map ! It’s quite an easy task but you need means to read/ write the ecu file and winols to edit and calculate the checksum of the binary file…

I would look for OE/OEM egr valve as much as possible, aftermarket valves don’t usually last…