Red mk4 Golf with AGU gets donor engine from a silver mk4 Golf with AUM

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by NZBOY, Jan 12, 2023.

1. NZBOY New Member

I have a VW Golf Mk4 2000 that had an AGU engine that shit its self. I replaced it with an AUM from another 2001 mk4 golf. The AUM is fitted with the KO3 turbo, coilpacks and cable throttle body, from the AGU, but it has origonal small port inlet and big injectors for the motor. I could'nt use the other inlet as it was a big port. The AUM has had variable valve timing, and the auxillary air pump removed. So still using the Loom and ECU from the origonal AGU. It seems to run OK but has a very rough idle and power brakes dont work. I have replaced the powerbrake vacuum line. Where do I go from here?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

first thing is plug it in and see if its flagged any codes, and check your vacuum lines between inlet and servo again. perhaps the non-return valve is on the wrong way I managed that before :lol:

3. NZBOY New Member

Thanks for that input, I still havent solved problem. I think I may have more than one issue. I have replaced the whole complete vacuum pipes for PCV valve and Power brakes, I think I have good vacuum with no leaks but the power brakes still not work. I must have a problem in the power brake servo.
    Do you know if the power brake can be removed while engine is still in car?

For the bad idle I have tried cleaning and changing a few sensors to see if that helps. At this stage I have no error codes. I have a MAF sensor coming to try next. Even with the vacuum blocked off still have bad idle. Its rough and sounds like a car with the choke out. I am thinking I need to have the ECU remapped, and I dont know anything about doing this yet. I have the origonal ECU in the car with all the origonal sensors. But I have different injectors, and small port head and inlet manifold than what the ecu is used to.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah I had read it that you had swapped the injectors over as well and just used the new inlet, if you have a different combo of parts to the original your ecu will most likely need a remap yes. if the old injectors will fit the new engine then swap them over as well then this may be enough. remapping the older AGU ECU isnt so easy as these days no-one wants to touch them.

if you have the ecu from the donor as well as the loom you could convert it all over to that, as long as your car isnt really old its a plug and play job except for the throttle pedal which you need to add. I'm noty sure if this needs welding in or if it just fits straight in on the mk4 platform but hopefully someone can comment on that.

as for the servo I havent done one on the MK4 but I did manage on my mk2 8v with the inlet in so I'm sure there must be enough room in the mk4 surely?