NASP FSI Content....2.2 litre and 9600 rpm? Read on!

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by Toyotec, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You wouldn't get away with an 06a/b block?

I have one surplus to requirement

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I saw this post and immediately clocked the upper cam chain cover as a familiar part, but could not see evidence on an Audi Valvetronic System (AVS).
    Then Hugo gave a clue as to what that engine powered.
    You can find the exact picture here.

https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/skoda-fabia-r5/

I can expand a bit on the blurb in that link also.
    Super 2000 was superseded by the R5 regulations. R5 regulations was based on a downsized turbocharged engine of up to 1620 cc based on a production head and block.
    For the Skoda R5, Volkswagen AG did not have such unit but had a new line of production 1.8 engines that could be used with permitted modifications.
    The engine in the picture is familiar as it is from the EA888.3 family of engines and dates back to 2013. The engine was common in the non MQB USDM 1.8 170 PS Jetta and Beetle. It does not share components with the EA113 used in S2000 or the old EA827 (ABF/9A/ADL).
    However, I noticed multiple exhaust runners in the picture feeding the turbo. That is odd as the EA888 engines commonly have an integrated exhaust manifold with two ports where the turbo bolts directly on to.
    The AVS holes are also blanked off for the R5 engine.
    As the head and block for R5 regulations had to be based on production items, the base engine from the R5 begins its life from SVW Shanghai engine plant. Why? Because it was the only plant that manufactured a EA888 cylinder head, which did not have the integrated exhaust manifold. Ideal for this R5 application.
    Quite a bit of thermodymalic studies were completed on components
    Skoda motorsports takes a 1798cc EA888.3 and destrokes it from 84.1 mm to 75.5 mm. The original bore of 82.5mm is unchanged and the engine has a maximum displacement of 1614.4 cc. Compression is changed from 9.6:1 to the R5 max limit of 10.5:1.
    The crankshaft, conrods, pistons and piston pins are all bespoke items, which the picture reveals. The valves are standard but the "bee hive" valve springs are not. The VVT camshafts are bespoke.
    A 4-2 bespoke exhaust manifold, feeds a production Golf 7 R/S3 IS38 turbo, with the boost capped at 2.5 bar absolute and a 32mm restrictor. The inlet manifold is a standard item, but with a restricted 50 mm throttle plate.
    In terms of the actual performance curves, it was difficult to find an official one. However infomation gathered suggests, running on 102 RON, the engine is able to achieve up to 425 Nm of torque from 4750rpm with 284 bhp at the same engine engines. I suspect due to the restrictor the torque slowly falls away at the same rate up to 7000 rpm to result in a flat cap in advertised power. The redline was 7500 rpm.

I believe we have discussed the powertrain for the Skoda R5 here.
    We also discussed the Polo R5 , which shares the same powertrain here.

erreesse and TonyB like this.
  3. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I didn't have a good look when I posted the pic but can see its a turbo now, interesting its so over square, but I guess you need valvae area as I guess you need valve area a 32mm restrictor and low revs.....wonder if they are rev restricted by the regs like BTCC cars etc. back in the day?

Regarding the spec above, I doubt the VVT kit is still used. The cams will be fully mechanical I reckon with all of the VVT kit removed for a simple set of pulleys and a chain.....although it looks like a HY VO type rather than the typical double linked more std type version.

Also, and probably the most interesting change, is the change from the std hydraulic roller rockers to solid slipper type rockers. You would imagine that rollers would be better than a solid slipper types rocker, but clearly not. I understand the rollers tend to slip on the cams creating issues. This slipper conversion comes from the S2000 motors.

4. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Tristan,

Is that the Audi block ACE? like the 9a

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's the alloy block from an a4 or A6, 2.0 . Kind of like a 1.8t. Internal water pump etc.

6. Toyotec

All about spotting small details and familarity with the engine. The R5 regs stipulate a maxium rev limit of 7500 rpm. Usually the rev limit on a EA888.3 is set at 6800 rpm.

It is about details. If you observe the front timing belt cover there are two vane actuators. On the standard car there is a plunger behind those connections, which allows vane movement. I know this application uses bespoke camshafts to suit the new stroke, maximum allowed pressure ratio, revlimit and cylinder fill requirements.
    Several pictures show VVT connections are open and are not part of the motorsport harness. So one can assume that the bespoke cams are fixed. The chain and timing sproket are standard production items.

There are many interesting changes from a production unit. I do know the whole R5 EA888.3 exercise was not done by guess and infact had engineering doctors and calibration/powertrain engineers working on it to determine the thermodynamic properties, before determining the rest of the hardware to meet R5 requirements for up to a 1620 cc engine.
    I also know the OE valves were used and lift was limited to 11 mm by the regulations. Production engines use hydrualic lifters and roller rockers, where as the R5 does not use that. So that might be part the reason why finger followers were used. 7500 rpm is nothing for a standard engine with the right turbo from experience, with hybrids turbos allowing revs up to 7800 rpm on standard hydrualic parts. So there will be a specific reason why the Skoda motorsport chose those components used.

7. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Ok, as you say 7500 is no revs at all, so the valve changes are not for revs.....and reliability (in the std engine) would not be an issue, so it will be to do with lift and valve acceleration [weight], as I guess the roller units will be heavier. That is where budgets come in, friction is the enemy. The beehive springs are single units also I assume have less poundage, therefor lighter vale train items are needed. Likely titanium valves and caps at works level. less spring to push, more power gets to the wheels.

8. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Must be an ALT engine

9. Toyotec

The camshaft is bespoke, which would drive the need for the finger followers.
    However the valves are production items as I said.
    With reduced capacity, a boost limit and a restrictor, you have to target cylinder fill to be optimum up to the sonic choke and use custom gearing to get the best acceleration.