Master Brake Cylinder - diameter theories

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by daNpy, Apr 15, 2023.

1. daNpy Forum Member

Looking for a new master brake cylinder for my track car, there are several different plunger diameters to choose from.
    As far as I found there is 18 and 22, but for a T4 the diamters are a bit bigger, 23 and 25 mm.

Now, the bigger the diameter, the more volume of brake fluid is moved for each mm of plunger travel. It would mean you can brake "harder" with less pedal movement.
    But I was thinking, isn't the force that needs to be put in also higher? In the end you are transfering more fluid into the same small diameter of the brake lines, which means the resistance you would feel is higher?
    You would then need more force to press the pedal?

Also, but this might go quite far, isn't it harder to be more precise when braking, as less pedal travel means relatively more change in brake force compared to a smaller diameter?

Besides the price, I was wondering if I should buy a
    ATE 25,4 mm https://www.autodoc.nl/ate/954487 for € 155,-

or just take the 23,8 mm TRW PMK560 for € 65,67
    https://www.autodoc.nl/trw/2209291?search=TRW Hoofdremcilinder (PMK560)

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely, big master cylinder equals less pedal distance but more effort required to push the pedal.

3. daNpy Forum Member

So the 23,8 mm it is :)

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Depends what brakes you have though doesn’t it. Bigger brakes bigger MC recommended. If your brake force is good now then why change the MC size?

daNpy likes this.
  5. daNpy Forum Member

True, more piston volume requires more more fluid. I'm not going to change the calipers and use the G60 calipers with 54mm pistons.
    I have the idea brake force is more related to brake pad material anyway.