Injector seals on a pd

Discussion in 'Passat' started by mk2 nas, May 6, 2023.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

As title looking to change all the injector seals with new stretch bolts.
    I’m fairly confident I can do this but wanting advice.some tutorials I’ve seen just show the seals being changed.one or two have mentioned setting the gaps.
    Or if it’s an inexpensive job might not bother doing it at all.(garage can do it)
    Seal kit seems good at £60ish
    I’ve done jobs such as engine rebuild and
    Clutches etc so it’s not beyond me I hope.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Vague memories of setting the preload of the PD injectors, it was one of the test on my Ford masters test (Fords used same platform of Sharan for Galaxy) probably 20 yrs ago so as I say vague!

DTI was used IIRC to make sure rocker fully open...

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Looked into this some more it seems after fitting new seals the injector when at a position of fully depressed crack the nut on the adjuster wind down the Allen key adjuster until it bottoms out then reverse the adjuster 180 degrees and tighten lock nut it seems.

4. davidut5 Forum Member

Yes back the adjuster screw 180deg, if you don't have a dial gauge, i use the cam lobe to get the maximum attack on the injector, when camshaft lobe points to the injector rocker roller. Clean the injector hole(sandpaper p400-600) and grease new orings to not damage them, as the hole gets chewed up from injector moving in there.
    The injector rocker bolts also are stretch bolts so the book says to replace, i did reuse once or twice as long as they are not stretched. I check them back to back to see is the threads align with each other.
    Injector hold down bolts replace with vw original, also on injector rockers are some oil plugs that tends to fall out, check if they are in place at each end of rocker shafts, new valve cover gasket.
    Spin the engine by lifting one wheel of the ground put in 5th or 6th on a manual box and do them 1-3-4-2 easy peasy. Also the book say to remove fuel feed on tandem pump and blow low pressure compressed air to empty the circuit so not much fuel can drip down the cylinder when you remove injectors, so it does not knock very hard first start.

mk2 nas likes this.
  5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Not done this job before but seems strait forward.ordered seal kit which comes with 4 injector bolts(12 lbs ft +270degrees I think)
    Other bolts should be ok.
    The pd engine has a genuine 79k very low for an 05.
    I’ve got smoke and blow by at filler cap
    I’m suspecting these seals.also my oil level was high which again I believe this can cause this also.
    I suspect they have never been changed.
    Engine is really good and quiet.
    Mpg isn’t as good as should be neither.