Rear brake caliper issue

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by slateford, Feb 24, 2023.

1. slateford Forum Member

Last month, both rear brake calipers were replaced on a Golf G60. Today, when applying the handbrake at a junction, the lever traveled to the top with no resistance. The car was a bit sluggish setting off and once I stopped, the right rear alloy wheel was very hot and a bit smokey. All the other 3 were fine

Before I remove the caliper, is there anything in the system, except the ABS which is showing no faults, to rule out such as the brake pressure regulator? I'm assuming if it's seized it wouldn't give this symptom?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a dodgy handbrake mech on the caliper. Or possibly an issue with the slider pins

daNpy likes this.
  3. slateford Forum Member

Thanks, will have a look.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the carriers are original the areas the pads slide on could be pitted. if you can source some later mk3 or polo ones those accept the stainless pad slider shims so this problem wont happen again

5. slateford Forum Member

Thanks.

6. slateford Forum Member

After posting about the Teves ABS system, seems like there is a fault with the booster portion this time hence a caliper coming on when the car is run. Back to the drawing board.

7. slateford Forum Member

Well thankfully the ABS is working fine as are the calipers. Issue is the RH handbrake cable sticking and a thump on the lever releases it.

I have ordered a pair of ATE replacements but the RH cable guide tube is obsolete, 191 711 952E.

Are there any alternatives or does someone have one for sale in case there are issues replacing the handbrake cable?

The LH one however is still available.

8. rubjonny

unless the tube is really corroded you shouldnt have any issues replacing it, wrap a rag round it and lightly grip with mole grips then give the cable a twist while holdign tube with grips and it should come free. worst case get on the FB speak to the mk2 breakers such as brendon moss or matthew palmer

9. slateford Forum Member

Thank you

10. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Re the handbrake cable guides. I cut a slit down either side to remove the old handbrake cable which was fused in-place. Once removed just reshaped and fitted the new cable with a bit of grease so it didn't happen again. Works fine.

daNpy likes this.
  11. slateford Forum Member

Thank you.

12. slateford Forum Member

Ordered a set of ATE handbrake cables, 1613mm, after consulting ETKA, VW Classic, Heritage Parts etc. 1H0-609-721A for the PG engine

Turns out the cables are too short and both the rear calipers that were replaced 2 months ago are seized and have had to be replaced under warranty.

Things are either difficult or poor quality. A new clutch fitted to the V6 4Motion was faulty and had to be replaced under warranty as well including the many hours it takes to replace it :cry:

13. slateford Forum Member

The new rear calipers were replaced under warranty and now the right rear sticks on when the handbrake is fully on. There is play in the cable so the pivot is not releasing unless tapped with a hammer. There is no problem on the first few clicks but when fully engaged on a hill, the pivot sticks. The garage say it looks like the pivot catches on a washer and a tap, combined with the spring tension, releases it. They are aftermarket so they think the quality is poor as this is the 2nd right rear that has issues. I assume re-manufactured Girling or Lucas ones have no issues if anyone has used them?

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I fitted Mk4 Calipers to my Mk2 years back and never had any issues since.

I good set of Genuine second hand calipers are better than brand new Chinese junk in some (most) cases.

Same with the Motorcycles, I personally would prefer a good used Genuine part over poor quality patern parts, and advise my customers accordingly.

15. rubjonny

Thing is even if the rebuilt calipers were genuine originally, if they used crappy parts to rebuild or didn't check them over properly for corrosion or wear before the rebuild they'll be just as crap as cheap rebuild calipers.

MK4 only have the advantage of being a bit newer and lighter, these days they're all old though when you think about it the newset MK4 are getting on for 20 years old :lol: the main issue with them is the bleed nipples can size in due to differing metal corrosion, so make sure those are free before stripping off. If you have std calipers now I would just go with mk3 as direct swap no need to worry about custom Flexi lines (though if the Flexi need done anyway then it makes no odds if you go MK2/3 or 4)

16. slateford Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

17. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Do you mean that the handbrake return isn't working properly?

Take a look at @AKAeddypeck post. He identified that Granada handbrake return springs were more powerful than golf ones. However I wouldn't expect to have issues with new/recon calipers. Maybe you need to return them and get some working secondhand MK3 ones?

Search for his 9 Nov 21 post.

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/lucy-‘91-mk2-golf-gti-alpine-white.291294/page-2#post-2505032

18. slateford Forum Member

It was the 30 year old handbrake cable was the issue first of all. When renewed, the rear original calipers were leaking so were swapped with aftermarket ones at the MOT. The right rear then stuck on when the full handbrake was on and the pivot needed a tap for it to release. The replacement caliper did the same so I managed to find a refurbished Girling one and now the issue has gone. The left rear one so far has had no issues, just the right side one.