Gear linkage selector part/s needed for 1996 MK3 Golf GTi

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by HannahJ84, Jun 1, 2023.

1. HannahJ84 New Member

Hi, I took my car into the garage this week to have the gearbox fixed, but they had ordered a new part for it which doesn't fit my 1996 Golf. They tried to find the right part online but they haven't been able to, so I need to try and find it myself.

The part that needs replacing is the 'gear link selector bush' - they said if I can't find this part on its own, I could try and find the housing with the bush, either as the old style part or a newer version.

I don't know the part number for the old style bush (the new style is 191-711-190-B but this doesn't fit the old housing). The part number for the old style housing is 1H0711088, I don't know the part number for the new style housing.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone could offer as to where to look or how to work out the part number for the new style housing.

Thanks.

2. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

191-711-190-B - that goes behind the gearstick - if you lift up the gear gaiter and look down, the selector rod goes through this and out under the fire wall to the engine bay. - symptom of this failure is movement in the selector rod, I’ve had it where you can’t get gears at all.

1H0711088 - this bolts to the subframe near the steering rack (in the engine bay), in here normally is relay shaft with a plastic ball end, which is widely available and replaceable - symptom of this failure is struggling to select gears and not very precise, but they do go in with some guess work.

Job 1 is a bugger todo, its exhaust and heat shields off, and drop the gear selector unit

Job 2 is about 30 mins work, spring pin, its a spring clip, a nut and realignment.

3. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Or do they mean 191-711-208/A Which goes in to 1H1711088 its the other end of the selector rod?

4. watercooled Forum Member

Yes job 1 is a PITA,if you don't do it replacing the others only there will still be slop in the system as I found out once .

5. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

The two numbers you quote are for parts used at opposite ends of the 'selector shaft', which runs between the gear lever mechanism (bolted to the floor of the cabin) and the 'cross-over' point of the linkage mechanism, an upright bracket visible below the coolant globe and Abs valve unit. Moving the gear lever from side to side twists the shaft, while moving it back and forth does the same for the shaft.

I wasn't aware of any later version of the bracket/housing, 1H0 711 088. The ones I've tackled have all had the orange 'bellows' insert (linked by Quiksilver) held in place in its recess on the main mounting bracket by a plate riveted to the bracket. The bracket also holds the vertical 'relay shaft', which translates movement of the rod and shaft into movement of the linkage rods, going to the selector input on the gearbox. The bracket can be detached fairly easily, after the linkages are disconnected, allowing the rivets to be drilled out to replace the front bush. Wear in the relay shaft can be remedied too, usually its white plastic bushes but sometimes the shaft itself, or the 'golfball' attached to it. There should be a metal heatshield protecting the golfball from the heat of the exhaust downpipe.

The much larger rear bush, 191-711-190 B fits into the metal box bolted to the cars' 'tunnel', which holds the gear lever itself, and its lower 'ball' socket. It guides the rear end of the selector shaft, as it exits towards the engine compartment. Sadly, the bush is fitted from inside the box, and pushed firmly into place in a forward direction; it can't (or shouldn't) be slipped onto the front of the shaft and slid backwards into the box. It's truly a dreadful task to change this.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin