Why is no one interested in my son's ED30?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Dave, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I know there is rust and bubbling on the front wings but, the car is standard and as near perfect as possible.
    I for one would rather buy a properly maintained standard car, with ZERO aftermarket parts, and sort the wings myself.

Elaine and I have just been over to England. We have driven the car all over, including over the border into British North Derbyshire and Yorkshire. (The stupid spell checker on this forum does not recognise Derbyshire, nor recognise recognise! Please get a decent English English spell checker. Even the British in the North use English spelling when using the language.)

The car is really very good. Compared with driving Elaine's 25J, I found that I had to get used to the electric power steering. Once I got used to it the car went where ever I pointed it. The suspension is softer than the 25J fitted with Sachs Race Engineering Coil-Overs, but it still cornered with precision. The gear change is far better. Much sharper. I don't know why, probably because it has only traveled half the distance compared with the 25J.

It is a great car to drive, and I would have thought that anyone who likes the Mk5, and who wants a collectable keeper, would go for it!

If it had more sensible front and rear lights, and was a 3 door in white, we would buy it and even pay the massive Irish importation tax!

Just think we would then own the best four VAG keepers: 90 20V Quattro, 1986 GTI Basic, 25J, and ED30.

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Where have you advertised it Dave?

When I sold mine 2 or 3 years ago it went pretty quickly via an eBay classified advert, the 2nd viewer bought it. The 1st one just fancied a morning out and he actually told me he had a mk5 r32 and just wanted to drive an ed30 to compare, knob

Dave likes this.
  3. Dave

Only on CGTI. Ben wants a CGTI enthusiast to buy it not a knob, as you so rightly say.
    Also, he wanted Elaine and I to have a proper car whilst we were touring England and North Britain! :)
    Ben has also been looking at ways to get rid of the wing problem.
    Bodge-Up or Good wings from a breaker or proper repair.
    Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I think you'll have to advertise it further afield Dave , try https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/

I didn't get a bit of interest on here about mine either.

Plenty of dick heads on Facebook marketplace though, avoid.

Had offers of £1500 and phone calls at midnight! WTF!

Even had it on Autotrader as a paid ad.

Gary

Dave likes this.
  5. Dave

Thanks GVK.
    I did not know that A MK5 GTI forum existed!
    I must get admin to to add 'Stupid' to 'Pedantic Old Fart'.
    All the best,
    Dave.

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Fixed that for you :)

Dave and oldnick like this.
  7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I just had a look on there, you need 25 posts to be able to sell on there, maybe that's why there aren't many for sale on that forum.

Dave likes this.
  8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Edi 30.
    Tuned a few of those. Good car those are. Good luck with the sale Dave.

Dave likes this.
  9. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

For me there are a couple of issues that would put me off. It’s a five door, it’s 15 years old and it’s got 100,000 miles on the clock, there is rust on the arches so where else is there rust? Also, it’s a special edition with more horsepower which means higher insurance, no good for a young driver and older drivers are not really interested. Not to mention a personalised plate which will put some off (Irish plate?). Your advert has too much information and it jumps about a lot meaning I lost interest quickly. You need to have all the relevant info at the top, year, miles, service history and then a brief good/bad description. Say less and get people contacting you so you can sell it personally.
    Finally, you need to advertise much more widely. EBay is good but you will get time wasters, less so on Autotrader. Others will have different experiences.
    You need better pictures too, no fancy angles, sides, front, back, wheels, wider interior shots.
    Also, look at the lowest priced cars available and price accordingly.
    Much of this may seem harsh but you asked and I’m just trying to be helpful. It is a very nice car but a bit niche and you need the right buyer which is not your general Golf GTi buyer unfortunately.

10. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Ebay classfied advert for 30 days, cost him 20 quid.
    Have a look at others for sale and completed sold listings too and price accordingly.

If its sensibly priced it will sell within the 30 day period, I'm pretty confident of that - people want standard ones and those that know these cars know about the rusty wing issue and it won't phase them overly.

I'd rather one needing a pair of wings than one that's been tuned and messed with as that always makes me think its been kicked to death, they are powerful enough with 230bhp

Dave and Savagesam like this.
  11. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I am bored at work so had a look at your advert and re wrote it as though it was my car. Feel free to take some pointers or ignore me completely, I don't mind haha

Feb 2008 VW Golf GTI Edition 30, number 2288
    Diamond black with Vienna half leather/Interlagos cloth
    Usual ED30 spec
    4 previous owners, current owner 8yrs
    2 keys
    HPI clear
    MOT April 24
    99,675 miles – may rise slightly as still in occasional use

Good points:

100% factory standard with no modifications
    Full VW stamped service history up until 2016, serviced thereafter by myself using genuine parts (receipts present)
    Cambelt & tensioner 27k ago at VW
    Brake fluid March 2021 at VW
    Centre exhaust pipe September 2018 at VW
    Front brake caliper/2 x driveshaft outer cv boots March 2021 at VW
    2 x rear coil springs March 2022 at VW
    Rear brake caliper/2 x front anti-roll bar drop April 2023 (genuine parts fitted by myself)
    Matching Dunlop tyres all round, fronts are new and rears have 6mm

Bad points:
    Few minor scratches/stone chips as to be expected for age and mileage
    Rust showing on front wings – common MK5 fault and fairly cheap and easy to rectify
    Minor kerb marks to wheels/whiteworm on centre caps
    Slight creasing to driver’s seat bolster
    Slight wear to steering wheel/gearknob
    Display on stereo is dark one on side though still functions as it should

The above has been factored in with my asking price

Selling due to lack of use - only covered around 3.5k miles in the last 3 years

For any more information or to arrange a viewing please contact me on the number above

Strictly no agencies/canvassers, and I am after a straight sale, no part ex

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Toyotec and Dave like this.
  12. Dave

Thank you all so very much, especially Richard.
    Richard you are a prince amongst men. What a, what a, lot of trouble you have taken for us! I am sure Ben will be more than happy to use your prose which is as succinct as it could be, but highlights all of the salient points.

Sam. I am quite embarrassed by 'very'. I was a bit embarrassed by 'quite'. I believe that you should put it back to where it was!

Kindest regards to all.
    Dave.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    RichardDarrenB likes this.
  13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Fabulous effort to take time and help another enthusiast. Especially dave!

Well done and thanks.

RichardDarrenB and Dave like this.
  14. Dave

Thanks Eddie.

15. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Happy to help Dave, to be honest I've looked over the advert a few times as I'm trying to justify it for myself as I really miss my old one. But with a 60mile daily commute, a mk2 in the garage for weekends, and a modern daily I couldn't find a place for it on my drive. Keep us posted on how he gets on with it

Dave likes this.
  16. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Just another thought, a savvy buyer will ask him if the cam follower and oil pickup pipe have been done. Both common tfsi "issues" but super cheap to do and can easily be DIY. If he hasn't done these its worth him googling both jobs and doing them, as i say people will ask and a fresh receipt for work done is peace of mind for would be buyer

Dave likes this.
  17. Dave

Will do Richard.
    Ben is going to use your prose. He agrees that it is perfect.
    Thanks once again.
    Dave

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  18. Dave

Richard, you are outstanding.
    There is a problem with tick over since I drove the car. Probably cos. I drove it to the limit. It has started 'hunting', revs go from 700 to 1300, and he is looking into that now. He has not got VAGCOM so I may have to send mine over.
    Dave.

19. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Typical when he's trying to sell! I nearly had to cancel the sale of mine as the day before collection I went to start it and the battery had gone flat, not a problem I thought, quick charge later and it starts but the dash resembles a Christmas tree and steering angle sensor warning.... luckily Google told me to just drive it back and forth in a straight line to reset it which worked a treat!

I won't even tell you what happened to my MK1 on the day I sold it....

Dave likes this.
  20. Dave

Thanks Richard.
    I shall reply properly tomorrow because after six British Ales I am incapable now!
    Anyway, supper is ready.
    Goodnight,
    Dave.

Savagesam and RichardDarrenB like this.