Help needed with rear springs

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by AKAeddypeck, Oct 21, 2023.

1. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Last year my wife’s 06 GTI 5 door, failed MOT with cracked rear coil springs.

I bought replacements from Euro car parts which got it through the mot. There wasn’t much choice I just bought what they had.

Now here’s the thing. With people in the back the car creaks and bumps. So now I’m looking to fit some better brand springs.

So, looking at AUTODOC there’s lots of brands, so thinking Eibach or Bilstein. But there’s also different specs and sizes.
    Some don’t give dimensions.

I’ve tried looking at LLL parts diagrams and it lists all of the springs with the number and colour of painted dots.

But with the original springs long gone I can’t reference what I need. I just want standard height, not lowered quality springs.

Is anyone able to help me select the right items? Does anyone have access to VW software if I give the chassis number etc….

thanks I’m advance.

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I got a set of KYB rear springs for my departed mk5 gti from ebay, didn't have to specify anything in particular and they were the same as the oem ones in every way.

3. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

And re autodoc, I feel like that site makes a simple choice massively more complex than it needs to be by suggesting about 500 options when you try to buy a part,498 of which not being relevant to what you need.. So for that reason I avoid like the plague.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I hope he doesn't mind but @EZ_Pete sent me a print out/pdf of my cars options and codes, including the all important PR codes for fitted options like brakes/suspension. Worth a PM!

Agree with above ref. Autodoc, tooo many choices!

OP - How are your rear bump stops, they can fail on mk5s

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  5. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

It’s just passed an MOT, so assume that would be checked and part of it but maybe not. I’ll take a look. But surely if the springs were doing a better job it wouldn’t be reliant on the bump stops?

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Don't know the first thing about MK5's so I'm not able to search properly with there seeming to be a few variables for your year / model.

Put the cars specifics into your Autodoc garage inc. the chassis number then do a search.

They're linked into the TecDoc / TecAlliance manfacturers databases so pretty good at finding what you're after.

Having said that I then always double check with the makers own site, but it usually confirms Autodoc's correct.

Ran a random MK5 GTI model through SKF and this is what it threw up, but as you know what the exact specifics are, just use it as a starting point to hone things down.

Most of the other big names also have free databases (some you have to sign up for/subscribe to unfortunately), but Googling whoever they are along with for example 'eCatalogue' or similar usually finds them.

Again, didn't know your exact model, but ran an eBay search and there's auctions for MK5 GTI rear springs that show the coloured dots in the images, no guarantee they're original I suppose, but may help get a bit more info. to help you cross ref. elsewhere.

https://vehicleaftermarket.skf.com/...1_automotive&year=2006&vehicleid=eu0002-20064

AKAeddypeck likes this.
  7. watercooled Forum Member

You need the bump stops for large potholes and extra weight in rear ,cheers.