Lock barrel “wafers”?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Rustbuster, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys, so thought it would be good to spray my locks with some WD-40 to prolong life and after doing so ignition key won’t turn, I know, if it ain’t broke…..[:D]
    Anyway, thought not the end of the world as I have some spare wafers that when inserting the key move to line up and unlock, or so I thought…
    The spares I have are from door, glovebox and boot lock barrels and they’re a shorter size than the ignition key barrel ones so I’m stuck.:(.
    Pictured below on the left is the ignition wafer and the right is a door one.
    Q is does anyone know where I can get the larger type for ignition or even have some spares I could purchase? oh, and I got the ones in the second photo from Aliexpress but they’re the short ones unfortunately.
    Thanks guys.
    IMG_2072.jpeg IMG_2073.jpeg

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Imkay have some somewhere, I shall try and dig them out. Do you know what numbers you need. When I did my Corrado ones they were supposed to greased too. Always a special grease....!

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

I think what probably happened was all the old grease was more like glue than grease and spraying in the WD released a worn wafer that now is too worn to be retracted when the key is inserted.
    The original ones in my barrel don’t appear to be stamped with numbers. The ones I bought off Aliexpress are number stamped 1-4 but they’re too short.
    I’ll have another look tomorrow as I’ve put the barrel back in the car to deter any potential light fingers. Figure if I can’t start it with the key hopefully they’ll have trouble too.
    If you can find some spares I’ll post back ones I don’t use. Thanks for helping though.[:*:]

4. Rustbuster

Any idea what the best/special grease might be apart from expensive???:thumbup:

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just nab a load of ignition locks from mk1/2/3 and similar out scrappy

Rustbuster likes this.