2.0 16v's on twin 40/45's

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by G60RCaol, Jan 15, 2010.

1. G60RCaol Forum Member

Who is running this setup? I'd be interested to know what size chokes you're using in which carbs, what other mods you have and your power. Oh, and MPG... scare me.

Cheers
    :p

2. danster Forum Addict

If it is not for out and out performance 40s will be ok and probably a bit cheaper to source than 45s
    The standard k jet is really not that bad and will give better mpg and comparable performance.
    What does the car have at the moment for fueling? (carb or injection)

EDIT: I see it is a 1300 to 16v conversion so you have the right sender unit in the fuel tank. You will need a fuel pump and an fuel pressure regulator to get the fuel to the carbs.

With regard to performance and jetting specs it will depend what other mods are getting done.
    The main thing is just to get all the carbs and inlet manifold fitted correctly then once it is running you can set it up from there.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

I'm runnig an ABF on 45's see this thread
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190724&highlight=tonnes+power

201BHP 160Lbs/ft (Flywheel)
    Using 38 chokes.
    On a steady track day on road tyres she good for 13/14MPG.
    On a mad day with R888 on shes in single figures 8/9MPG.

My first track motor, stock KR on 40's gav a slight improvement on gas milage.
    That use 36 chokes.
    110Bhp (Wheels) Don't know the torque.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  4. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Do you mean @wheels?

5. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Sorry[:$] yes athe wheels, gettin confused in my old age.

I'll edit that out, may nobody else noticed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  6. danster Forum Addict

With 40 dcoes chokes of around 32 - 34mm are about it and any bigger and they lose the venturi effect making them hard to setup correctly. Also any bigger than 34 and the auxilary venturi is the restriction and not the choke.

Jetting wise :

Mains 130 - 140
    Airs 175 - 200
    Idles 45 - 50 F9

These are approximate for 40 dcoes with 32 - 34 chokes and depend on the carbs you get and the emulsion tubes aswell as engine tune. They do work well even if some say they are too small.
    If you manage to turn up a pair of 45s then they will be fine too but require different jetting depending on choke size etc.

7. G60RCaol Forum Member

Cheers guys,

I was mainly interested in what size chokes you are running, and the power/mpg of that engine. I know the basic theory behind them, and have a set of 40's.. but considering i'm now going to be using a 2.0 instead of 1.8 i dont want to limit the engine at all, it would be a waste of time.

Does anyone run a 2.0 16v on 40's with good results? I'm thinking probably 36mm chokes in 45s would be better than the 33mm i have available at the moment for the 40's.

I don't want to overchoke and ruin the MPG that will be terrible anyway but i also don't want to restrict the engine.

The engine will be 9A with a KR head and cams with a stainless 4 branch, standard system to begin with soon to be upgraded.

It will be running carbs one way or another, K-Jet isn't really my thing.

8. matt~driver Forum Member

I was thinking of doing this to and am wondering how much power to expect out of a 2.0 16v on twin 40s

9. danster Forum Addict

I run 40s with 32 chokes on my 2.0 16v and it goes well enough.
    The smaller carbs have good air speed through them and make for a torquey and responsive engine.
    I have a good inlet manifold so that helps avoid losses compared to the crap short ones.
    If you have 40s just get the thing up and running on them as the carbs can easily be swapped for larger ones if needed later.
    I have put plenty 16v onto 40s and nobody has complained of a lack of power. It is more important to have them setup correctly as a badly adjusted set will run like a dog.
    Lower final drive gearbox will help too. Something that most folk overlook.

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

As above, dont use the shorter upswept inlet manifolds unless you just looking for looks and noise as they knock a chunk off the airflow ability of the head.

Again, 40's are ok to a point, with 34mm chokes as a max they'll cope with around 160hp. After that (with ported heads, cams etc) you'll need 45's and bigger chokes depending on the spec your looking for.

11. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

As another comparison, I was using 45 weber 152g's, 39mm choke on a 2.1 16v with a short Mag. manifold. power was decent at 209bhp and 188ft/lbs.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I remember thinking the car was quite "decently" quick. :thumbup:

13. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

Appreciate this is a very old thread - but I thought I would add here before starting a new one.

I have just bought a MK2 Golf with the 9A engine and twin Dellorto DHLA45 carbs and I am struggling to get it to run smoothly - its either over reving, or hunting, then seems to idle fine and when rev'ed just dies.

I am not a carb expert so was wondering if there is a 'go to' person who is familar with tuning/setting up this configuration? As mentioned above if not adjusted correctly they run like a dog and mine are.

Any pointers welcome.

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Whats your area - might help. Welcome btw.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  15. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks - good point North Buckinghamshire/Milton Keynes area, so anyone local would be be appreciated.

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

17. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

GVK likes this.