Mounting tuning tablet.

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by KeithMac, Mar 3, 2024.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've got an 8" Windows 10 Tablet running TunerStudio for my MegaSquirt.

I've set up a crude dashboard for now with buttons to turn on Logging and AutoTune (to use as long term fuel trim).

Just can't think of best way to mount it in my MK2. Ideally semi permanent as it will automatically boot with ignition on, start TS and start datalogging / Auto tune all by itself.

Thinking of moving my stereo down into the cubby hole in front of the gear stick and having it where the stereo was?.

Main goal is not to have to cart my laptop about and make it more self sufficient.

20240303_154840.jpg 20240303_154850.jpg 20240303_155002.jpg

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I had a 10” tablet in my 911. Custom made a mount which attached under the dash. However, I did away with my stereo and had all music and sat nav on the tablet as well at the tuner studio. Can’t help with the location in a mk2 but you don’t need your stereo really, with a tablet as well.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yes I was thinking of getting rid of the stereo, I have an AMP so could use a Bluetooth adapter.

Did you use any programs on your Tablet to make it more head unit like?.

Was going to have look on MP3Car.com but it's long gone!.

I've got a 12" Tablet as well, might end up relocating the heater controls etc and fitting that if the head unit is going.

4. PhilRyder

I just used standard apps and flicked between them. Some tablets have split screen now so that would be useful.

KeithMac likes this.
  5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've been searching high and low for a decent Sat Nav app for Windows 10/11 and it seems one does not exist.

Was looking to mount the tablet above the glove box, and will keep some form of head unit with Android or Android Auto for navigation.

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Bit the bullet after work, Durable XL tablet mount (same colour as my dash ironically), and my HP Windows 11 tablet.

Was mulling over putting tablet in center console but it's turned our really well imho.

20240319_182659.jpg 20240319_183341.jpg

GVK likes this.
  7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bloody hell it's like a Tesla!

KeithMac likes this.
  8. PhilRyder

Excellent :thumbup:
    What head unit are you using?

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

It's an Atoto F7 Pro Android Audio, single din with 8" screen.

10. PhilRyder

Does it slide in and out automatically and does it fit a standard single din? Are you happy with it?

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

No, it's a fixed screen due to the size, it does go straight into a single din (that's why I chose it).

I bought it to use Android Auto for my SatNav but I've had a few issues with AA (partly my S20 phone I think).

If it did it again I'd buy the same form factor but I'd have an Android 12 OS unit. I run Co-pilot in our other car with Android 12" screen and it works well.

If I can iron out the Android Auto issues the A7 is an excellent head unit, I run it through an AMP though.

PhilRyder likes this.
  12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

There was a really nice Android single din head unit with motorised retractable screen that I've had my eye on , £350 iirc but an nice bit of kit.

I'll see if I can find a link later.

Maybe treat myself for Christmas lol.

PhilRyder likes this.