16v KR 9a ignition timing issues

Discussion in '16-valve' started by drewbar, May 26, 2010.

1. drewbar Forum Member

Hey guys,

Ive built up my new 2litre 16v engine with a KR inlet cam for best power as per toyotec's guide but im struggling to get enough ignition advance. I have got to the point the where the distributor is butted up fully again the bolts, I think im at about 6degrees BTDC using my timing light. Ive driven the car and it feels a bit down on power from my last 2.0 16v.

Ive made a couple of crude marks for this but how would I acurately mark my flywheel or crank pulley aswell? Im running a o2a gearbox with a lightened flywheel by hotgolf too so I only have a genuine TDC mark and no more.

What could be my problem? Ive had a search and cant find much else on this subject.

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

try fitting the bolts into the other spare holes :)

3. danster Forum Addict

Are you using a 16v KR engines dizzy, loom and ecu?

4. odub Forum Member

i had the very same feeling of not enough ignition advance when i swapped mine to a kr inlet cam. the engine felt very flat and i wasn't impressed. it turned out that when i stuck it on the rollers the engine was way too under fuelled. i went from being rollered at 129 bhp as standard to 144 bhp after the cam and correct setup. good luck

5. davidwort Forum Member

must be a tooth out on the belt or something, mines set at about 8 degrees base and is still in the middle of the dizzy adjustment, a mm or so is a degree of advance/retard.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the haynes has measurements to make a 6deg mark, but trouble is these are for a 210mm flywheel so wont be quite right. you'll need to think back to your days at school and do some calculations based on the diameter of the flywheel and pi ;)

alternatively buy yourself a timing gun with an advance dial on it, set it to 6 degrees advance and time it up to the TDC marker :thumbup:

might be a silly question but worth asking, have you put the BTDC mark the correct side of the TDC marking?
    [​IMG]

7. drewbar Forum Member

Is it possible I could have put the bolts into the wrong holes??? :lol:[:$]

8. drewbar Forum Member

Yeah running all the standard k-jet gear I had from last car that this one was reshelled out of

Ok cool, its defo going to be worth me investing in a gastester I think and checking my set up properly.

Timing is defo 100% mate, all the marks line up it was the first thing I checked

Aww good shout, its been a while since i've done of bit of pie maths but I might have to resort to it this weekend, long weekend at least leave plenty of time for calculations and tinkering :lol:

9. drewbar Forum Member

Massive thanks guys! Turned out I had put the bolts in the wrong holes haha. Got it all set right now and it goes like a stabbed rat! Im soo glad I asked now as I would have spent ages dicking around with it otherwise haha

10. l-o-m-a-x Forum Member

which bolts were in the wrong holes? I have also just replaced the 9a inlet cam in my 9a engine with a KR inlet cam. Revs much harder now.

11. drewbar Forum Member

The actual 2 pinch bolts for the distributor were in the wrong holes mate :lol: Fancy VW putting 4 holes there anyway ay :thumbup:

12. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

Appreciate this is an old thread, but hoping someone can help with the timing on my 9A engined GTI.

The car has the 9A engine with the KR cams - but for some reason the ignition is not advancing causing running issues and I am unsure of where it start to look. The car is on carbs, but retains the ECU for spark.

Any pointers welcome.

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Is the vac line into the ECU connected into the inlet - ?

14. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

No it’s flapping about in the engine bay assume the ECU uses it to advance ignition?

can I connect it to the inlet manifold as there is a connection there which looks like it could be for brake servo will that do the trick or will it have to much pull?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  15. rubjonny

it should be connected to one of the 2 nipples on the brake servo non-return valve

16. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks the hoses from the intake mainfold to the servo have been removed but I do have them and can see the nipple so will look to plumb this into the connection on the inlet that is currently blanked off (as it was causing a massive air leak), blank off the other end and see what happens.

Longer term will need to look at connecting them back to the servo, or working out why they were removed.

IMG_0788.JPEG IMG_0793.JPEG

17. rubjonny

do you even have a kr ecu actually? it should still give you some advance, reading again I wonder if you've just got the base TCI unit and loom off a carby... the vacuum line where does it go, if it goes thru the bulkhead maybe its the old mpg vac line for cluster

18. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

I am not sure, I was told - but have not checked the car has retained the original PB ECU for spark (all the connectors are there for injectors, airbox etc), but I will remove the ECU and have a look to see if its PB/KR. The car was originally a 89 GTI 8V with a PB engine, hence the assumption (and we all know what they say about that) that its a PB ECU. I will also look to see where the VAC line goes before connecting it it up and report back - it looks to go to the ECU, but I will check.

19. rubjonny

ah yes sorry I'm talkign to you in another thread as well :lol:

pop a picture up of your ecu in the scuttle (or wherever it is) and we can go from there

20. pstarkey Paid Member Paid Member

Ok I will stop posting in the other thread to avoid confusion. I have wipped the ECU out here it and and the connections to it. The pipe that was in the engine bay disappears through the bulkhead into the car - it is not connected to the ECU. I am just googling to see if this is a PB ECU - it looks original. Or is this not the ECU but just the ignition control module?

IMG_0799.JPEG IMG_0800.JPEG IMG_0801.JPEG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024