Oil Pressure Light Issues (Solved!)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MK2MonzaBlue, Dec 26, 2023.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep, ce2 doesnt have the board seperate its all one unit. MK1 cab/rocco post 84 have the same one though

2. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Alright brilliant thanks for the help

3. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Frustratingly, I've acquired and fitted a new oil pressure board, and it hasn't fixed my problem. Double checked all my connections for continuity (again) and everything checks out. Fully out of ideas now

4. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Here is the full list of everything I've tested if anyone can see something obvious I've missed.

Oil Light Flashes, no buzzer
    - when ignition on or running

Bought a second (low spec) petrol CE1 cluster to take the oil sensor circuit board from. Plugged it in to test it on its own first, then took the board out and put it in my cluster (original)

Original cluster - light flashes
    New cluster - light flashes
    Original cluster + new oil board - light flashes
    New cluster+ old oil board - light flashes

New oil pressure sensors (high + low) x2 - light flashes

Continuity
    - sensor - cluster plug - all good (both sensors)
    - cluster plug - circuit foil - all good (0.3 sensor)
    - sensor - circuit foil - all good

Cluster earth to head - all good

Blue sensor (0.3) unplugged - light flashes
    Yellow sensor (1.8) unplugged - light flashes
    Yellow sensor (1.8) earthed - light flashes
    Blue sensor (0.3) earthed - light flashes

Blue sensor (0.3) - Engine Off - Continuity Body-Spade
    Yellow Sensor (1.8) - Engine Off - No Continuity Body-Spade
    Blue sensor (0.3) - Engine Idling - No Continuity Body-Spade

Black + White Cluster Plugs
    - Both plugged in - light flashes
    -
    Either unplugged - no light

As far as I can see, my only options are:

The cluster is the problem, in which case both clusters have the same problem. I find this unlikely, and neither have any visible signs of broken components on the circuit boards + foil.

There is some other part of the wiring that the sensors require to work properly, that I haven't checked. Don't think it would matter, but I haven't got the dashboard or any interior wiring/switches put back in the car yet. Only enough to get the car running. The battery light, temperature light and rev counter all work. I haven't driven the car yet to know if the speedo works.

5. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Does anyone know if there are any relays / fuses that are involved in the oil pressure sensor operation? Found a thread on another forum suggesting there might be but don't entirely trust it.

6. rubjonny

hmm. one thought, have you got anything plugged into G spade 6? This is linked internally to the 0.3bar pressure switch circuit. apart from that only other thign I can think of is to unplug the cluster, make sure the blue/black wire for the 0.3bar switch has no continuity to ground

also if its GTI dash loom with MFA make sure the cluster earth is connected, its the male spade near the fusebox with brown/white & brown wire wires to it, this should be plugged into a brown/white female spade in the engine loom which then goes off and earths to the head. Usually if its this though the cluster tends to work as normal till you put the lights on. Though if you dont have the lights plugged in...

7. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

I'll have to check the G spade 6 thing. Assume you mean the G connector in the fusebox, and spade 6 within that connector?

And blue/black wire continuity to ground I'll also check, meaning blue/black wire in cluster connector to the earth wire to the head?

Is the cluster earth part of the other earths? I've got a claw thingy under the dash, above the fusebox where 6/7 small earth wires all connect on and then the big earth from the battery connects on too. Is that what you mean?

8. rubjonny

yeah theres a load of spades round the back P for permanent live and G for misc circuits:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

if the blue/black is shorted to earth anywhere in the harness it'll trigger the light so you want to make sure thats not the case

the cluster earth is on its own male spade near the fusebox, the female side should go straight to the head. However it might have been put to the claw rather than to the cluster plug, which would mean the cluster hasnt got a proper earth

9. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Right thank you, I'll check those this evening and pray that one of those is the issue

10. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

And while I'm on about electrical issues, my electric windows aren't working. I know the motors work cause I've powered them from the battery. Is it likely to be a fuse, relay or switches? Pretty sure the wiring is all good because I've tested it already.

11. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Good news at last!

The oil light is fixed

I have never been so glad to not see a flashing LED. G Spade 6 was the issue. I have a black and white wire plugged into that position, which then runs to a relay which I think was for aftermarket front foglights that the car had before I restored it. I've just taken the relay out for now as I'm not quite sure where the black and white wire should be plugged into, but I don't really care because the sodding oil light is finally working again.

Rubjonny, thank you very much for your help.

Now to sort out the electric windows...

EZ_Pete, daNpy and Zender Z20 like this.
  12. rubjonny

could the relay be for electric windows? if so the black/white would go to G spade 1,2,3 or 5. if not, find the electric window relay and put its ignition live into G spade 1,2,3 or 5 :lol:

for front fogs what you should do is add a relay to the factory slot 7 then round the back move the female spade grey/yellow wire from M/1 into the matching loose grey/yellow male spade in the dash harness

13. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

The relay I mentioned that I've left out is a 53 relay, does that tell you anything?

14. rubjonny

53 is a bog std switched type, sometimes used for electric windows. Best bet chase the wiring from the relay socket and see where it ends up. if its had a 90spec electric window loom the relay is behind the console rather than above the fusebox so thats also worth a look

the 53 will work in the fusebox for front fogs if you still have those :)

15. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

Not 100% sure, but I'm fairly sure the 53 relay just has a live jumped from the relay next to it, an earth to the earth block, and the black + white wire that's currently in G6