’box swap

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Quicksilver, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Quicksilver New Member

Im looking to replace the knackered 4 speed in my '83 driver and would prefer to replace it with a 5 speed as the old girl runs out of puff quite quickly in 4th! Anyone know which box would fit? 1.5/1.6 mk1s possibly?
    Cheers Dan.

2. greg s Forum Member

Runs out of puff in 4th because you don't have the power to pull a
    longer gear. Polo GT 5-speed box will fit but you'd be mad to do it.

3. madmonkey Forum Addict

Try a 4+E off a 1.3, they're out there.

4. jake Forum Member

to fit an 085 to a mk1 you might need to make mounts to secure it to the n/s chassis, as its not the same box as the 084 4 speed. I didnt bother with mine but then I didnt drive it much before I killed it...
    Get a 5 speeder from a mk2 golf if you can as the ratios are lower, for example the 085 I fitted came from a mk2 polo ranger with a 24 mph per 1K 5th gear. It could have got a bit bogged down (if it hadnt died before I got to the first hill!) with such a high gear, however 4th was around the same as the original mk1 driver box (18-19mph/1krpm)

If i find the list of codes, ratios and the list of what cars they came in then I'll post it but I think that it's lost.

edited for stupidity
    Edited by: jake