’sticky’ gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by DarrenW, Oct 25, 2003.

1. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Sometimes (not always) on my Golf the shift from 1st to second, or third to fourth is 'sticky' for want of a better word. It takes a harder tug to pull it out of gear and down through the gate. Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is cold or warm.

Is this likely to be the 'box or just (hopefully) the linkage?

2. Neil G40 Forum Member

my golf used to do this before the bearings packed up but seeing as it didn't cost me anything to get it fixed I wasn't too bothered, I think it may have been because I never changed the oil in it :o

3. DarrenW Forum Junkie

hmmm think I'll be changing the oil in it soon then! It doesn't make any particularly weird noises or 'owt... Hope it lasts a little while yet at least!

4. Neil G40 Forum Member

redline MTL is a good choice

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Hows your clutch adjustment. If the clutch is dragging, then this can cause these symptoms.

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I find a good synthetic oil with a dose of slick 50 G.box lube a very good choice,
    also if you haven't changed oil for a v.long time/never get some cheap 85w oil to flush system for couple hundred miles,will take most of the dirt out