ΚΑΑΖ into 02S not working properly

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mk2sp, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mk2sp Forum Member

Hi to all.

After installing the KAAZ lsd into the 02S gearbox, i started the break-in procedure as KAAZ instructions say. Did the 8 figure for 45 minutes constantly and then i changed the KAAZ gearbox oil (was all black) with new KAAZ one again. I took the car on the bends to see how lsd reacts and i was greatly disappointed.

As i press accelerator pedal in the turn-in lsd starts to lock and pull the nose inside, but suddenly if i press more both wheels spin the same and the car goes straight feeling like it looses lock percentage. KAAZ says that the lsds they sell are delivered on a lockage percendage that can reach 100%.

I have driven plenty of cars with plate and gear lsds and none behaved like that. I was expecting something more aggressive as KAAZ considered to be a hardcore racing lsd. The car that lsd is on, is a 20VT Mk2 on 35,0 Kg.m of torque. I was expecting the more i press the more it locks.

Any help or similar case from someone?

2. HidRo Forum Member

Hummm... A MK2 with 1.8T with ~350NM is A LOT OF TORQUE to the LSD to handle, I would say...
    Have you tried it in a higher geart? Because I think the problem is the tires not holding enough. Can you try some bigger wheels and some good tires?

3. mk2sp Forum Member

Have tested on 215/40/17. Same car on same rubber with Torsen lsd was much much better in public road.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I forget - are these plate diffs or geared diffs?

There's plenty of power there, and if you light the fronts up, it'll plough on regardless.

Suspension and tyres also to consider - diffs won't work if the rest isn't working.

5. mk2sp Forum Member

It's plate diff Chris. Suspension is Racing Bilstein with very good control and tyres are on good condition 215/40/17.
    The road i was tested the car on was very slippery though. But in the same conditions Torsen (gear) lsd in a same Mk2 (with the same power) behaved better (pull the nose in as you pushed).
    Maybe plate diff needs good friction roads.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks. What is the diff torqued up to in lb/ft?

Tracked and cambered up?

7. mk2sp Forum Member

Torqued up in the values that KAAZ suggests, i.e. VW values.

FRONT
    Front track: 0
    Camber: -1.75
    Caster: +7.3

REAR
    Rear track: -1 (total)
    Camber: -2

Spring stiffness: Front 280lbs Rear 220lbs

Car is 8cm wider in each side (new wishbones as shown in Member Gallery)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No the torque across the plate diff, ie the amount of initial torque which would cause the plates to just slip.

Are you running power steering?

9. mk2sp Forum Member

Power steering yes.

I contacted KAAZ USA and the answer was:

Our diff can be set at 1) 0% initial lock to 50%max and 2) 50% initial lock to 100%max.
    All diffs delivered are set on 50%initial-100%max.

What's on ur mind Chris?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Without knowing where the diff is set, there might be too much static resistance in the plates. Cue a front axle which is unwilling to turn.

Power steering will disguise it, because you can't feel what it's doing.

Call Kaaz, and see what they say it should be set at.

The ranges I've seen are

Mk4 Golf DTC (circuit car) - 37lb/ft
    Mk4 Golf kitcar (no surface given) - 118lb/ft

There are many variations from the data I've sucked up, but looking at the averages, I'd be worried if yours was > 75lb/ft, and reckon sub 50.

Check it's not your technique also - my plate has initial understeer (still work in progress, only been driving it a month), but then allows you to progressively feed in power, and it tucks in.

11. mk2sp Forum Member

From what i can understand and without knowing the setting values of my KAAZ diff, the only thing i can say to help u guide me is that after the installation of the KAAZ turning the wheel is much more difficult than before... I have to say here that gearbox is 02S (GLB) and KAAZ is for 02J. Although it fitted straight in, maybe the lb/ft values are for Mk4 Golf...

Is it logical?

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

was the diff second hand, set up for a mk 4? you know how it ran in other car?
    o2j & o2S diffs should be identical

13. mk2sp Forum Member

Diff is new. KAAZ does not produce diff for 02S, only for 02A and 02J 5-speed boxes. 02J KAAZ diff fits 02S perfect though.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Jack the car up on one side, with it out of gear, and use a torque wrench on the CV nut.

Work upwards from a low figure until the wheel turns, and this'll give the resistance in the plates. Start at the bottom of the torque wrench guage.

Don't go past the torque of the hub nut, obviously! Stop if you get there.

15. danster Forum Addict

The Kazz diffs for most front wheel drive cars are classed as 1.5 way. They have ramps of different angles for accelaration and braking that pressure the diffs clutch plates on accelaration and braking to give the limited slip effect. Similar to the Gripper diff design. Alternative ramp angles are available.
    I remember when installing mine that i thought it would be possible to put the ramp in the wrong way!
    I have one in my track car and it is good. Nothing like 350 nm of torque though.
    I suspect as Chris said that trying to put that much through the front wheels is part of the problem.
    Once both wheels start spinning the car will just plough straight on as there is no grip for the wheels to steer.
    Checking the preload of this type of diff is not really relevent as it is the ramps that exert the force to lock the wheels in operation.

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

it's a diff, it's not magic. all it does is lock to help stop the unloaded wheel spinning. if you have enough power to overwhelm 2 tyres then it'll happen.

did you honestly expect it to eliminate all wheelspin and understeer?

too much power for FWD

17. mk2sp Forum Member

I am sure i will sort it out. Each way or another it's a Mk2, not an ordinary car[:D] !

Thanx boys. I will come back with new impressions after sorting and some more testing.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Phatty is a confirmed hater of FWD - so pinch of salt needed!

400+++, no problem!

19. mk2sp Forum Member

Α gift for our friend then...:p

[​IMG]

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I looked into this after reading ^^.

If there is no pre-load, it'll a) potentially give understeer, and b) adversely affect wear on the ramps.

Definitely check the static pre-load and use it as a way of checking wear on the plates as you progressively use the car.