020 five speeder reluctant to go into 1st ??

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jon Olds, May 23, 2019.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

CITI mk1
    Linkage has been replaced one bit at a time.
    Adjusted more than 10 times
    Second through fifth its now the nicest gear change 020 I have ever driven.
    But it refuses to reliably go into 1st
    Anybody been there before I take the box out and strip it.
    Goes into 1st without the linkage fitted
    Confused.com
    Ta
    Jon

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Is it the same box as a mk2 gti only many years ago I had gear selection problems on my 16v into first gear with engine running and the clutch would drag when going into reverse as well I seem to remember all gears fine with engine turned off it was the clutch push rod worn down, I put a new rod in and no problems.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

thanks, checked the rod and clutch as Ive only done 200 miles since I put the power unit in. Interestingly I removed the 'detent' (spring loaded thing at 12 oclock and I could get 1st. So its now packed high (less preload) with a thick washer. Time will tell whether this is the root cause.
    Its the only 020 I have seen with non adjustable preload, being a 1991 mk1 from south Africa. AEN code
    Jon

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Do you mean that plunger on the top of the box? They were fitted to early boxes and incorporated the breather too, all the later ones had a different setup and seperate breather

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Yes, the plunger.
    I have early and late 020's 'in stock' and will have another look / compare.
    The gearchange has been fine now a month or more.
    Jon

Hotgolf likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with the linkages did you remember the bushes in the bottom of the gearstick where it attaches to the main rod under the car? if those are worn it can throw out your adjustments just enough that 1st & reverse are tricky. those are the only ones I missed on my cabrio and on the way to the MOT I ended up getting 3rd at a junction, stalled, and car wouldn't start as the starter spade had fallen off. all good times :lol:

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I replaced the entire linkage, lock, stock, with my mk1 race car (which had a mint gearchange: even better now with a JMR setup), made no difference
    So, it was the detent being overly aggressive
    Jon

8. davidut5 Forum Member

My jetta is hard to get into first sometimes. To get it to work i push on gear shifter and slowly release the clutch, then it goes in. Im guessing this is a internal problem with synchronizing hub that dont mesh when out of sync.
    The shift sleeve only gets over the blocker ring, gets stuck on the mesh gear because the mesh teeth go blunt[:D] or something along those lines. Have seen this kind of wear on some gearboxes.
    Also i have replaced parts of gear linkage but the shaft with the golf ball is bad again because the ball shrunk, cheap topran part.