020 - Uprated Clutch - ARP Flywheels Bolts

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by ianb, Apr 18, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

Pretty sure daved made a spacer from an old cut down and machined clutch pressure plate.

2. Admin Guest

I have made a spacer from an old clutch plate but it is not flat, maybe because of the forming process, or the clamping force of the bolts on it. Anyway I will either skim it straight or make a new one from ali.

I just need new longer bolts for it and hope Daved had tested out the longer cheaper bolts. In my application they will be 5.5mm longer than the VW bolts (spacer included) and would like to know if this extra 5.5mm will mean they bottom out or interfere with something.

I cannot remember if the crank bolt holes go through? I think they dont but have no idea of the depth ATM but will measure them tomorrow maybe. [:?:] That would then answer my own question really...:lol:

3. danster Forum Addict

Yeah, the crank bolt holes go all the way through. If you give me a dimension I can depth check it. :thumbup:
    I've got a crank under the table. [:$]

EDIT: 15mm is the thickness of the crank flange that the bolts thread in to.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. Admin Guest

Great, thanks for that, so looking to buy bolts that are 29mm.

Crank 15mm
    Clutch pressure plate 5mm
    Spacer plate 5-6mm (material choice dependent)

That will leave an over hang/potrusion of 4mm, is there room for this or will it contact? I will have a look during the week. :thumbup:

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. Admin Guest

Many thanks, the 29.5mm bolts are too long then, I may try cutting them down. I'm thinking of using some 6mm aluminium alloy plate to make spacer, 6082 H30 which is quite hard, do you think it will be to soft for the clamping force? And I should just stick to the old clutch material?

7. Willber Forum Member

Smudge I have a spare spacer that Mart made me (hotgolf). PM if you need it :)

8. danster Forum Addict

Out of interest. The Nissan SR20 flywheel bolts are the correct thread and 24mm long from under the bolt head. 16mm bi-hex head.
    They look like a very nicely made bolt with proper radius from shank to head.
    The Nissan engine uses 8 bolts to locate the flywheel or automatic torque converter drive plate to the crank, and a substantial spacer to help spread the load.

NB. The spacer may just be used on the automatic vehicles. Might be worth double checking the bolts are common to the manual transmission engines too. The bolts I have here came from an automatic transmission equipped vehicle.

9. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Tom.

The use of aluminium plate as a spacer is not a good idea, to my mind. Aluminium is far more ductile than steel and, even if the UTS is the same, it will not carry the pre-stress bolt loads into the joint as well as steel will. Max. UTS of 6082 is about the level of the Min. UTS of fairly basic steel.

Take Willber's offer for the plate Mart made!

Dave.

PS.

The design of dynamic bolted joints is not at all straight forward! I am at present writing a tretise on why this is so.

DO NOT HOLD BREATH.

I am on page 10 already, and have got nowhere yet! A lecture would work better!

10. danster Forum Addict

Rather than use a machined down clutch pressure plate as a spacer. Why not use a machined down flywheel from the likes of a small block 1.3 engine. This would be far stronger, and will surely act to reduce any deformity and spread the clamping force better than the softer clutch pressure plate metal.

11. Admin Guest

That's great Daved, yep I understand ali is very ductile so I will stick to the old clutch material spacer I have already made then, I was talking to someone yesterday about the scorpion tanks that hard Ali armour, after about 60miles of driving they would heat up so much at the front that they stretched a few cm in width causing some issues! A bit like concord and blackbird where there's heat, ie a clutch the material properties will change.

I have an 8v black diamond 'uprated' clutch here if you would like me to measure some parts?

12. Admin Guest

OK one black Diamond 'uprated' 8v clutch,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its hard to tell in the bottom pic but there are two thin spring plates making up the 1.86mm thickness.

I run the 16v version on my car and have done so for years, the gearbox will be off over the winter for the new 8v clutch, at the same time I will measure the old 16v clutch and post up here too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  13. danster Forum Addict

Mk4 Golf 1.4 16v with 02K gearbox only uses 6 instead of the usual 9 bolts to secure the flywheel to the clutch pressure plate. [:s]
    The flywheel is drilled for the usual 9, however the pressure plate has the holes for the absent 3 bolts, but they are not tapped to accept the 3 bolts.

It also used a 200mm diameter clutch friction disc, but it would accept a 210mm diameter clutch plate.

14. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Crackin read guys...
    Gonna hunt thro my pile of pulsar parts to find some flywheel bolts!
    Jon