020 Uprated Clutch Options

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jim182, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Jim182

Jim182 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys

Just after some advice on clutch options.

I'm about to fit a G60 from a rallye into my Mk2 Driver. I'll be sticking with the 020 4+E box but want to get an uprated clutch as the G is supposed to be running around 220 bhp.

I've looked at the Black Forest Industries clutch kit but not sure what stage I would need and don't know if there is better out there for the money?

TIA

Jim

2. andipandi Paid Member Paid Member

Cg motorsport, but that gearbox won't last if it truly runs 220hp

On one I did it ate 3 020 rebuilt before I convinced the owner to upgrade

3. Jim182

Cool, I'll check them out! To be honest as I haven't had it running yet I'm just working off that the last owner told me but it's had cam, injectors, stage 4 charger and smaller pully.

I've had a few people say this and others say they've been running an 020 with no issues at all. It has been recommended that I get the diff bolted in rather than riveted.

Cheers
    Jim

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

speak to hotgolf aka martin emment aka gas n gears about getting the gearbox internals sorted, at least have the diff bolted or better have a replacement LSD of some kind put in. this is the main weak point but when you're chucking loads more torque in than it was designed for you can start stripping gears, or you can even snap the input shaft if you're really good at trashing them :lol:

I agree with andipandi ideally just skip the 020 entirely and look at the 02a/j/s type boxes. Its not liek its particularly hard or expensive, mounts can be had cheap if you're handy at ebay searches usually best place is ebay.de. Then fit the cable conversion kit to avoid all the hassle of a pedal box swap:
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?107068

5. Jim182

Thanks RJ - I'll give Martin a message and discuss what the best route with the box is to go. Ideally I'd like to stay with mine as it still fells really solid and the ratios of the 4+E are meant to suit the G fairly well!

Cheers
    Jim

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have run a 020 with a diff etc for both trackdays and as a daily commuter in my car JENVEE.
    My gearbox was maintained by hotgolf or Gas n Gears and I actually calmed down my driving style from brutal shifts to more mechanical sympathy over the years. That help gearbox durability a tad.
    My NASP 2.0 ABF engine is far from stock and so is the torque. A rebuilt 020 gearbox will be OK if you just drive a few miles per year and seldom track the car on a mildly modified NASP car.
    On a charged application, which will achieve beyond NASP torque of 200-240lbft, I would suggest the 02A/J/S, with its bigger gears to spread the torque loads and dissipate the heat.
    Clutches, I was lucky to pick up a Sachs power clutch for my 020, which I still have, along with many other components after updating my car to a hybrid 02J/S.

Have a chat with Martin at Gas n Gears regarding what you want to do. I would suggest you take the 02A/J/S path.

7. Jim182

Thanks Toyotec, will have a chat with Martin (I've pm'd him) and discuss the best options moving forward!

Do Sachs still do power clutch's? If so where would be the best place to get them from? I've read somewhere that the standard gti clutch's are good up to around 200bhp? Does that sound right to you?

Cheers
    Jim

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

200bhp is not the problem. It is the shock of engaging, high engine torque vs a the resistance of the chassis through the gearbox input shaft.

I got my 020 "power clutch" as new old stock from a friend. Do not see them on the shelf any more.

9. Jim182

Cool, so one of the CG Motorsport clutches andipandi recommended will be a good option then or should I just go for a good quality Sachs / LUK standard clutch?

Cheers
    Jim

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I bought a Helix metalic clutch from Madi Gras Motorsport, the box did two years of abuse before diff rivets gave way. I have another 020 just need to bolt the diff.