02B Gearbox how to do 5th Gear Upgrade

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Brookster, Aug 25, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice guide there on gear changing.

If a puller is being used, question is how is it put back on? Heated to 150'C & hammer? Makes me think about the taper bearing taking abuse at the other end.

Nightmare if the garage have left it low on oil and deffo should have checked it. It's thought this is why the plastic gear channel was put in the 02S boxes as insurance in case the box runs low on oil.

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Got the gears ordered at VW Bradford they will be here tomorrow 202 inc vat, the dealer was used to ordering this combination and says its a good upgrade for the T4 Vans.

I think the cost sounds alot but considering the saving on fuel and a lower revving engine on the motorway its worth it.

02A 311 361 Small Gear.

02D 311 158 Large Gear

also the risk of buiying a second hand box for 250 and not knowing the condition of the internals, its also a rare gear so finding a box would have been hard enough.

The new gears are pushed back on and the bolts tighten them on the shaft, may be easier if they are heated but i don't think its required.

Phatty coming round tonite with his puller and Torx Set to help out getting the old gears off which saves me some headache and should be able to get it all finished by Friday ready for VW Action.

What a mess ! how would you like your gears ? well done or burnt to a crisp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also need 4no new tyres fitting.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, the bolt, of course.

I hear too that the .68 is a common mod for businesses seeking T4 MPG.

There is a Seat Ibiza TDI estate which comes with this in the box. Instant breaker if you see one real cheap!

4. Brookster

Totally f***** off now [:x]

We stripped the old gears out last night but when we got the small gear off , we discovered than the needle bearing on the input shaft had totally fallen apart. probably due to the heat from when there was no oil in the box.

looks like i need a new gearbox. [8(]

http://www.vwmotorsport.info/vwtech/gears/mt_02A_overhaul.pdf

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Roller bearing on the pinion totally shot, and the bearing inside the 5th gear pinion collapsed too, even the pegs which go on the sides of the selector ring were worn.

I'd say get another box and have it stripped and rebuilt if required, no point rebuilding this box it's going to have other damage inside.

6. Brookster

cheers

seems like the best option, i've got a few boxes lined up but their all silly money.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Can this one be rebuilt with a load of 02J parts + T4 CWP + 5th gear?

Or are the ratios all different?

8. Brookster

Yes 02A &02J

looks like its another project.

still very disapointed with the garage that caused the damage in the first place,but they do my MOT's every year so not going to fall out with them.[:x]

The main problem with T4's is the Gearbox is a right B****** to get out, otherwise it wouldn't bother me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  9. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I thought this was going to be the issue. With that amount of damage on 5th there was going to be all manner of crap and damage inside the box.
    02a/j parts are nearly all interchangable, so your best option is to find a good 2nd hand item and swap it all over.
    You can now think about sourcing a different code box to improve ratio's on the cheap if the parts you ordered have't been ordered yet, and save yourself some money.

10. Brookster

Sent our lass to VW to explain the situation and they are going to return the 2 no Gears hopefully .

so need to look at the options would be nice to build a new box while the iold one is still it, but that may not be an option due to funds.

my mate Bargate has a spare 02A box from a rado which i will check on the ratio's

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres a load of gen vag gears just popped up on ebay, 02y part numbers but i assume they may still fit?

think best thing is to have box off and strip it, see what damage is internally. might be salvagable but maybe not! if gears are ok at least might be basis for transmission reshell :lol:

12. Brookster

probabley vise versa :lol:

existing shell / new internals

13. danster Forum Addict

The O2B box is very different from an O2A or O2J around the diff area, as it houses a far larger diff. The gears themselves may be similar though.
    How do I know this, because of the T4 box lying in the shed! ;)
    I looked at getting the final drive from it but on comparison with the car cable change boxes it was obviously different.

14. rubjonny

whats the code of the T4 box? I'll start doing to etka digging and see what I can come up with compatibility/ratio wise

15. danster Forum Addict

My T4 box code is CHR.
    It came out of a kreg 4 pot diesel.

16. rubjonny

this is just the T4 codes for CHR box, as you can see all 02A/J part numbers so it seems the box is mostly std inside, just diffo diff I guess?

input shaft Z=9+17 - 02J 311 103 C (AYD,AYE,AYF,AYG,CCW,CCX,CCY,CCZ,CHT,CHR,CHS,CHT,CRL,CRM,CRN,CRP)

3. gear, Z=34/25 - 02A 311 285 AJ (CCX,CCY,CHR,CHS,CRM,CRN)
    4. gear, Z=34/35 - 02A 311 351 C (AYE,AYF,CCX,CCY,CHR,CHS,CRM,CRN)
    5. gear, Z=34/45 - 02A 311 361 Q (AYE,AYF,CCX,CCY,CHR,CHS,CRM,CRN)

2. change gear Z=36/17 - 02A 311 261 G (AYD,AYE,AYF,AYG,CCW,CCX,CCY,CCZ,CHT,CHR,CHS,CHT,CRL,CRM,CRM,CRP)
    3. change gear Z=34/25 - 02A 311 129 AS (CCX,CCY,CHR,CHS,CRM,CRN)
    4. change gear Z=34/35 - 02A 311 145 M (AYE,AYF,CCX,CCY,CHR,CHS,CRM,CRN)
    5. change gear Z=34/45 - 02A 311 158 E (AYE,AYF,CCX,CCY,CHR,CHS,CRM,CRN)

diff gear Z=84 - 02B 409 155 J (AYE,AYG,CCX,CCZ,CHR,CHT,CRM,CRP)
    output shaft Z=17 - 02J 311 205 J (AYE,AYG,CCX,CCZ,CHR,CHT,CRM,CRP)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  17. Brookster

Danster sounds like a good swap your box for my old box if all you need is a final drive :thumbup:

18. danster Forum Addict

The diffs are huge and do not fit in the 02A/J casings.

CHR box appears to have a 4.9 : 1 FD.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thinking about it some more, the pressed bearings in the casing surely have taken some aggro from the low oil?

Might be worth starting afresh unless you're going to replace those too?

BTW Danny, can a T4 case be just 'put' in a Golf? Rallying applications etc.

20. danster Forum Addict

No, as the engine position is canted forward. The T4 case is huge around the diff and also has a driveshaft extension tube for the offside shaft. (equal length shafts). It may fit in a mk1 bay but it will leave precious little room for an engine! :lol:

This is also the reason that Noonoo lad in that other thread will create oil drainage from the head issues if trying to install a 16 or 20v in a T4. Not impossible but aggro involved. 8v FTW!