02j Conversion - Mk2 1.8T - UPDATE - Just purchased an 02a :-)

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Richard Mk2, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I started this thread a while ago -

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?252685-02J-02A-Conversion-Mk2-20v/page1

And ive now decided im definitely going to go with the 02j conversion. Just thought i'd start a new thread to keep things on one topic :thumbup:

So, ive still got a few things i need to ask regarding the conversion. Ive done a few searches, but just want to get everything on one thread, which will benefit others to. :thumbup:

I want to retain my original pedal box, and not use a hydraulic clutch.

As Sparrow has quoted here -

* What Seat parts will be needed ?

* I assume i can use a MK4 or A3 1.8T shifter and cables ?

* Does anything need modifing to attach the shifter in place of the old one ?

* Speedo drive, is this do-able using standard Mk2 clocks ?

* Clutch and flywheel ? G60 or ABF flywheel with VR6 clutch ?

* Im also not too sure on what engine mounts and brackets to use ?

As my 1.8T was running an 020 gearbox before, ive only got the normal 8v brackets and mounts, which im sure wont fit with the 02j.

Obviously a 1.8T starter will be required.

Basically i need the help from you guys so i can collect all the nesessary parts and info to carry this out.

If there is anything ive left out above, please don't hesitate to point it out, as im going in blind with this conversion ;)

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Rich. :thumbup:

2. Gazt Forum Member

I'm sure my shifter box is off a seat cordobra or something?!,it's been a while!,bolts straight in!,the mounts are off a Abf box I think,I've converted my 02j to cable that was also off a seat,got it brand new from the stealers years ago,also you will need the 100mm cups

3. Gazt Forum Member

Oh and I think my speedo drive was off a corrado box,again it's been a while!lol

4. Richard Mk2

Cheers mate. :thumbup:

Ive found this quote from this thread -

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?254528-seat-cable-clutch-for-02j

Are these the correct parts i need ?

5. Gazt Forum Member

[​IMG]
    One of these

6. Gup16v Forum Member

The Seat Part you need is a - Gearbox Actuator - VW have them for about 67 quid incl vat i think. dont order boot seperate as both mine came with it.

You need a 02A Gearbox Bracket so you can feed the 1.3 clutch cable through it..
    Yep use 02J Selector..you need to modify the securing brackets where gearselector fits into the cabin. You'll see when you get under the car
    yep i asked about the speedo, was told to keep the bottom bit of the speedo and unscrew the top (which is electronic) and stick cable speedo on.
    The front bracket might fit, if there the same as 16v they should? i pressume they are as 16vs also used 020's right?
    you will need the rear gearbox bracket againt vw do hold them.

On mine rich i went VR6 clutch and G60 flywheel..not tested it out but ive been told its a decent upgrade over stock.

i will try and find the part numers i know someone made a definitive list which i used.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?237857-Mk2-1-8T-Engine-Brackets

i know the rear g60 bracket for the engine is obsolete via vw and tps...but peeps say use passat one which i have and it would have cleared mc by miles. I ended up going with Seat Short stub mc so it wouldnt have been an issue.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. Gazt Forum Member

Beat me to it!,yea that's what I've got,bin the dual mass tho,about pulled a muscle in traffic!

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Useful stuff. I am dying to rid myself of the auto adjuster in mine. Does anybody know if either of the honda cables is manual. That sounds like what I need...

9. Gazt Forum Member

I'd deffo look into the seat shifter as it is a bolt in job with no mods needed,I got the mk4 one to start with took one look at it when I got home and took it straight back to the breakers!,far too big

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That's not the set up I have on mine. There's a thread somewhere with the details. I'll dig it out.

11. thegave Forum Member

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Here's the best pic I can find of mine. The clutch cable goes towards the bulkhead:

[​IMG]

I don't have part numbers to hand, but should have them at home.

13. Bruce T Forum Member

Hi Rich,

Speedo conversion is a piece of cake! Heres a link to a really good thread Cricky crick

02J is definitely a worth while conversion. Theres a fair bit of part matching to get it to work but with the help of this forum it was fairly straight forward.
    Will see if I can dig out some pics from my build thread that may be of help.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

14. Bruce T Forum Member

Here's a pic of the whole gearbox end setup (please excuse the penis that someone had drawn on the starter lol)

[​IMG]

Thats an 02J box and shifter tower. I'm using the Seat actuator, clutch cable bracket and Seat self adjusting cable (which I would like to change for something better if possible coz its ugly as sin if anyone has a better solution).

The 'ears' on the 02J box filing down a bit and the threads drilling out to get the clutch cable bracket to fit properly but that's no biggie with the box out of the car.
    The if using the 02J shifter tower and the clutch cable bracket the reverse light switch lug on the tower will hit the bracket. one of the two will need modding. I opted to butcher the tower > loctite in a suitable bolt into the reverse switch thread and then grind and file the bolt and the lug off to clear the clutch cable bracket. Its abit difficult to see in this pic but once you have the bits in front of you you'll see what needs to be done.

[​IMG]

Cant think of anything else at the moment. Can other pics or get part numbers for anything if you need :thumbup:

Cheers,
    Bruce.

15. Richard Mk2

Thats some great info there, cheers mate :thumbup:

Regarding the rear bracket, what year passat one is used ?

I'll also be using a stuby seat m/s on mine, and hopefully get my hands on a G60 flywheel.

Cheers for the link :thumbup:

Wil have a good read of that soon.

Great picture there Sparrow, cheers. :thumbup:

All ive got to do now is find the nessessary parts.

Cheers Bruce :) Yea if you get the chance post a couple of pics from your build.

That guide in the link by Tommy is great. Thanks for finding that :thumbup:

I'll be on the look out for all the bits now. Money money money lol

16. Gup16v Forum Member

1996 ABF i think.. you'll need to check that though..cant check my part numbers as its fitted on now.

17. Richard Mk2

No worries mate. I bet it'll be hard to find one though :(

18. Gazt Forum Member

There's a full kit in the classifieds:thumbup:,think the box is an 020?,cables,mounts and box for 150

19. thegave Forum Member

FYI there were two links there. I also forgot to link the thread about using the MK2 1.3 speedo drive cable.

20. Joe16v Forum Member

What about drive shafts? I know early 02j had 100m cups that could use 16v driveshafts but later boxes had 110mm... I think....?

I've gone the hydro route as everything was accessible. After reading about heavy pedals and clutch cables snapping regularly I chose (imo) the harder route in order to improve reliability.