02j shift tower rebuild.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by tshirt2k, Jan 21, 2011.

1. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

thanks for that m8 will get the, ordered

2. 7c0m9 New Member

part numbers

i made a name jus to post on ur thread. do you have any more oem part numbers handy? i broke my tower cover and need a new one. if you have any numbers or know more about what to order i would appreciate a response.

3. murph81 Forum Member

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I may well be wrong but I'm sure that's the wrong one - I'll explain my thinking so you have a better idea of what to look for. The housings are common but there is one type where the shift rod itself has the shift lugs rotated by some value - maybe 45-60 degrees degrees from the standard 02A/02J compatible ones - that's what you are looking at in the top right hand corner of the pic in the auction. My ETKA is down at the moment so cant check for you.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, just checked it there and the shift lug is in the same place as the shifter that came out of it.

It seems to do the same thing as the last unit, just doesn't have the cup and spring, it seems like its all done internally in the upper alloy housing if you know what I mean.

I'm missing a few bits from the gear linkage at the moment so can't really test it yet.

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

For that price I'd just get a SH one and rebuild it.

7. murph81 Forum Member

I didn't pay that price for it, I got pm'd Noel the owner of Deutsche Parts on here about a Members discount and he sorted me out big time.

The box I have is a very early 02J so it had an 02A style shifter, the box is also new so I didn't want to put used parts into it.

I'll see how it goes when I have the gear linkage complete, hopefully it will be ok.

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

New or used. Won't make much difference to the shift tbh. But your choice. ;)

Not sure that will work either. It looks similar but part number shouts out to be wrong. 02R is a different box.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  9. murph81 Forum Member

You're right, looks like I'm in a bit of trouble with this!

I think I need the plate underneath the box that the shifter shaft pivots in (screw cap), parts 10 and 11 in this link: http://skoda.workshop-manuals.com/roomster/index.php?id=378

Because the 02R shifter doesn't have the cup and spring as mentioned above, it looks like the 02R box has a spring in the screw cap and I will need these parts for my shifter to work properly.

Has anyone got access to ETKA so I can get some part numbers, Vagcat doesn't go further than 2005 with the Polo.

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Cut your losses I did say it wouldn't work. That spring doesn't do the same job as the other spring on the 02J

11. murph81 Forum Member

12. murph81 Forum Member

Just copped that I never changed the lower cap underneath the box when I changed the shifter tower, I reckon this could sort it!

13. tidymike New Member

I thought I'd share my experiences here as I'm refurbing my 02J tower to go into my 02A 'box and wanted to swap a hotgolf PB bushing across from the 02A into the 02J tower. This thread definitely saved me from hammering anything and breaking a casting along the way.

In the end I used M8 threaded bar and a piece of tube (actually an old box spanner) slightly smaller than the hole in the casting to push the PB bush out of the 02A tower, with a 25mm socket underneath to support the centre of the casting and receive the PB bush

[​IMG]

It pushed out nice and easily with no damage.

Getting the bearing housing out of the 02J tower was more difficult as it sits flush up under the lip at the top of the casting but I was able to use a method similar to hotgolf's but from below.

To allow the threaded bar to pull the housing down I used a dremel to grind two small parts of the lower lip of the bearing housing away, then my M8 washers were just the right size to post up through the slot and sit back down inside the housing

View from below before
    [​IMG]

And with washers and bar inserted

[​IMG]

From there it was just the same, using a socket and nut/washers below and the tube/washers/nut above and tighten it all together with 2 spanners to push it out.

Hope this helps save someone a bit of time and effort!

rubjonny and Nige like this.
  14. PeteM

PeteM Paid Member Paid Member